Front axle seizure

Started by vntg136, February 20, 2003, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vntg136

The front axle on my MC5 is frozen in the fork slider. (It sat for some time before I bought it.) I would welcome any ideas for getting it out. I've tried a little heat and a lot of pounding. Thanks,  Bob

Doug Wilford

Bob;
I don't think your axle is frozen into the fork leg.   Your axle is frozen in the wheel bearings, most likely.   Lay the bike on its' side so the axle is going to be going down to come out.   Block up the bottom of the fork leg, remove the nut, loosen clamping screws. Use a big brass hammer and try to drive the axle out, use of penetrating oil may also help.  Good Luck.

Edited by - Doug Wilford on 02/20/2003  12:30:25 PM

Kip Kern

I guess I would try penetration oil (PB Blaster), a little heat and twist the axle to break it free.  If it is a Magnesium/Steel bond, good luck!

Dave Withrow

I realize this may be pretty basic, but, as Doug said, you need to make sure the fork clamp fasteners are loose.  Also, be careful on the pounding.  Those clamps will crack and break easier than most think (now how would I know that?).  The PB blaster is great.  When I go I want a can put in my coffin.....just in case!

vntg136

Many thanks, guys. Combining all your suggestions led to a successful surgery. I'm off to Waldo with new fork seals and tire!
Bob
(Will that penetrating stuff work on knees?)