125/250

Started by chris p., February 27, 2003, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris p.

so ive checked all the #s and all checks out ok. so why is it that my 76 125 is in a 175-250 chassis? were the penton boys sweeping up the left overs or what? ive also been all over the web and cannot find a picture of one that looks like the one I have. am i the proud owner of a penton misfit or is this pretty common??

tomale

Hi Chris,
What you are describing is not an uncommon situation. I have a 76 250 and it is a bit different than what other have discribed.
Some of the early models of pentons some times came with different parts. Most of this I think was minor. As for the 125 being in a 250 frame well that is not that uncommon as well. Some of the large bike companies could afford to build a whole bike from the ground up but not all of them. Maico did the same thing that year. If you remember the 125 class was not as popular on the GP scene as it is now. In this country support riders rode the 250 class and the big boys rode the 500's things are alot different now. I am not sure if this really answers your question but maybe it will shed some light on the situation. As I remember I never did see more than one 125 that year and only a handful of the 250's rare bikes indeed. These are not Hondas's and Yamaha's.
Happy trails

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mark Annan

does it have a Sachs engine ot a KTM engine?

chris p.

Mark Annan

sounds like you have one of the first KTM engined Penton/KTM bikes.

Dwight Rudder

Those were notorious for cracking cases and seizing . I had a dealer friend who couldn't keep his running over 30 miles. When he closed shop 15 years ago it was still sitting in back of shop hardly used at all.  He was afraid to sell it because of the problems.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.