where's Waldo results?

Started by rob w, March 04, 2003, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

When you're through with your vacation, I'm curious what happened down there, please report in.

john durrill

Rob,
 Sat was a wash. Rain , Lightning ( Two direct hits in the motorsports park ) and hail the dented vehicles and some vintage bike tanks.
 Sunday it was still raining and they cancled  it all.
 All in all no fun. we got more than 6 inches of rain over two days . sat and sunday.
John

Paul Danik

Sorry to hear that the rain ruined the event.  Lots of time and $$ invested in hopes of a good time and some great racing. Did they even get to practice or run any motos at all?
How about the trials and Cross Country events?
Paul

Mick Milakovic

I think PV ran one moto and paid double points, vintage was a total wash.  I know some guys drove 2600 miles round trip and didn't even start their bikes!

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Dave Withrow

Ah, Waldo.  I'm always getting Boat Week and Bike Week mixed up.  I'm still asessing damage.  I wasn't to thrilled with putting the 420 through the mill on Fri. so I flagged instead.  Saw a bunch of neat bikes...some a little closer than I'd like.  Sat. was a complete wash although I did get to talk with a bunch of guys I hadn't seen since last fall.  Sat. night's banquet was the highlight for me.  The best part was getting together with the other 4 National winners and Ken Knutson(#1 wrench)for a group photo. It was a great night for the "Penton Boys".

imported_n/a

Dave, great season!

Maybe you could track down that group photo so it can be posted on the website.  With hard work and money spent should come some fame, too.

Glenn

jj

Sunday's Cross Country & Trials were canceled as well. We were told that we could still ride since the track was paid for, but I was unsuccessful at finding a place to dock my pickup at lake parking lot. No hard feelings here, Florida sure beats that ice storm that I left behind in south side Virginia.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

rob w

Yeah, sorry to hear that did'nt go well, what a bummer, I know how much time and energy that takes. I wish everyone better luck for the rest of the year. Get ready, there's another one in only 20-some days!
Bob

tlanders

I had spent the last two months rebuilding two bikes from powder coating frames on up following Kent's articles as closely as possible, building a new '78 MC5 from two piles of junk parts, and rebuilding two engines completely. Most of this work was done in 10 to 20 Deg F weather in my barn.  Rosemary and I were breaking in our new 18 year old motor home when we arrived in Waldo on Thursday. When we went through Memphis, the bikes had 1/2" of ice covering everything. The two new engines (Mint 400 and Hare Scrambler) had about 10 minutes run time on them. I unloaded them and tried to get 15 more minutes on them to retorque the heads for the third time. The Waldo owner wouldn't let us ride, but he finally said I could go hide in the woods and get some time on them. It was wet and soggy. The next morning they finally decided that we could run the post vintage races but they reduced the number of laps to 4. I heard that of the 11 motos that ran, only about 30% of the riders were able to go the four laps, the rest got stuck!!!! It was like riding in 8" of freshly poured concrete. The bikes would go off to the right, then the left, but never where you expected them to go. The only engine I didn't go through was the MC5. I had never ridden the bike before that morning. I discovered that the clutch would not fully disengage. I adjusted the cable all the way out, that didn't help. I then took off the Magura lever and beat it straight with a large hammer to get more stroke, that didn't help. I was left with the unenviable situation of having to start the race in neutral with a last place start almost assured. There were seven 50+ Int riders on the line, I got my last place start and pulled a pretty good unintentional wheelie. Within two laps I had passed three guys and was just about to pass the fourth when his bike decided to veer across my bow and then get stuck. Given the inability to make the bike go where I wanted it, I got stuck trying to avoid the collision. The bike was so stuck that I couldn't rock it to get it into neutral and the clutch wouldn't let loose enough to find neutral. Finally got it in neutral and started again and I finished the race. Then I looked down at my new sprockets and chain and almost cried!!!!!!! They cancelled the second set of motos. They cancelled all the rest of the races but we waited until Sunday morning because there was a chance they would run Saturday's vintage races then. Curt Kennelly was camped next to us and we decided to go to the Ocala National Forest and camp and do some riding there. Rosemary and I stayed until Thursday and I got to ride with a lot of the GNCC and Alligator Enduro guys also. The MC5 did a pretty good job of staying up with them. Some of them were incredible how fast they went. Monday we rode in the rain. Tuesday night we saw the 1/2 mile AMA professional dirt track races and were surprised to see KTMs winning races there. I didn't know KTM makes a dirt track bike. Wednesday the sun came out for the first time -Yahoo!! Friday we went into Daytona to see the races, paid $40 to get in and the races were cancelled due to rain about 10 minutes later. I promised Rosemary that we would not be in Florida before the day was out!!!. The best part of it all was the awards banquet and getting to camp/ride with Curt Kennelly. We have good pictures of the winning Penton guys. If I scan them, where should I post them?

Teddy

john durrill

Teddy , is'nt that fun stuff to ride in? you only have to stop with it deep enough to go over the rims and you are stuck big time.
 We use to ride the local enduros, in wet years, that were 45 miles out of 75 of that type of sand/mud.
 No fun. it was sad to have the whole weekend ruined with all that rain.
 John D.