72 125 Rear Shocks

Started by namgar, March 19, 2003, 03:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namgar

I'm setting up a 72 125 Penton for AHRMA Classic 125 racing and wondering what the "hot" set-up for rear shocks is.  I'm considering the Works Perf. dual rate Gassers, but wanted to know if anyone else on the board has experience setting these up and what measurements to use.  has anyone tried the Falcons?  Ohlins? White Bros?  I know AHRMA limits the travel to 4", but is there any advantage with going to a longer body to get more clearance, or change the suspension geometry?  Any advice and viewpoint is appreciated!

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Dwight Rudder

Go with 13.5" Ohlins or Works Performance shocks. These are the best of the best in performance.  I like to keep as original appearance as possible.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

namgar

Dwight, thanks for the advice.  I feel the same way about the quality of Works products and I know I will probably go with the Works Gassers, but was really interested in the Falcons as well.  I'm not too worried about appearance (I still have the originals for that) but also performance and price.  The level of performance you get from the Works shocks is REALLY reflected in the price. This is my first experience racing vintage (I grew up on water cooled mono-shocks) and I wonder if the cost is justified.  This bike is already WAY over budget, and I still want alloy wheels (cha-ching!).  BTW, any opinons on SUN vs. Akront?  What about Excel and DID alloy wheels?

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Doug Wilford

Bill;
The rims are your choice, depends on how weight concious you are.  One major item I think you should know about is the Magnesium hubs that Penton used.   With age these are not suitable for extreme use anymore.   Do not use Mag hubs!!!   Good luck.

James

Rims..maybe it's just me but I bought a used KX250 beater to race some years ago. It had a factory front rim and an excel rear. I bent the excel almost to the point of and octagon shape. On my 75 Penton I had shoulderless akronts and baet them into the ground. Never bent them. Perhaps somone has more experience with excels or others. I am interested too as I am picking up an evo project this weekend-and am considering options since it has the wrong front end. Thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

SoCal996

I'm using Progressive Shocks, they seem to work okay, but then I'm a slow novice. As for rims, I sure like the way my shouldered Akronts look. Stay out of the mud though.

Brian

[email protected]

Depends what you want to spend,as you said,Progressive's (especially if you have your own springs) are hard to beat for the money and the are pretty nice folks.Frank.

rd400pi

Awesome subject as I have both a 73 and 74 Six Day to get going.  Doug, what's the situation with mag hubs?  I have full width hubs on both bikes.  Are they magnesium?  If so, what is a replacement suggestion or am I scroood?  Thanks in advance for advice.

Mike Husted (rd400pi)

namgar

Well this has certainly become an interesting topic.  I have learned the following from talking to a lot of people in the shock biz and some active racers so here goes,please remember I'm just a wee novice of little or no talent, who doesn't like to spend money unless he gets a measurable performance increase for it (or it looks REALLY kewl!)-

1. Unless you are an expert, you probably won't benefit from the Works or Ohlins advantage and some novices have complained of a harsh, stuttery feel.  I have heard a few people say that at the novice level, most people don't suffer from cavitation in an emulsion type shock, so they get no "real" benefit from a more expensive nitrogen charged shock in a short moto.  I guess this could change on long, bumpy trail rides.
2. The cost of rebuilding some of the top of the line shocks such as Works and Ohlins can approach the cost of new Progressive cores (since you would presumably already have the proper springs)
3. The shocks from Legends are "remarkably similar" to Progressives.  (wink-wink, nod-nod) and are by far the cheapest at $144.95, these are probably the best bang for the buck in an emulsion shock and are cheap enough to be easily replaceable if damaged - drawback is that they are not as good for riders outside of their dampening weight range (170-210)
4. In a custom built, nitrogen charged shock, the Falcons are probably the best value and they have the right "look", but shop around 'cause price can vary WIDELY on these. Also it takes about 3 weeks to get a set made so order early because I have a feeling that could be a conservative estimate.

I think I'm going to give the Falcons a shot, I'll let you guys know how they work if I get the %(*^&( engine rebuilt and take this thing racing.

William R Gahrmann
William R Gahrmann

Dwight Rudder

Now from experiance, Works Performance are the smoothest shocks I have ever used on a vintage bike. That is what I have on my 1972 Penton Six Day 125. Like adding two inches more of wheel travel. I run non gas shocks on my bikes that I don't ride much. If you get the Works shocks get the gas piston so you can mount the shock in the NORMAL upright position for a more stock look.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.