Mud flaps & rear fender question?

Started by crash carden, April 14, 2003, 02:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

Hello Penton fans! I'am restoring a 72 Jackpiner, first question. I'am puting on new NOS alloy fenders, of course the rear fender has to be cut to size ,how long should it be? I don't remember how far down over the rear tire it came, or how far past the mounting holes under the seat it should go.Now the mud flap that go's under the seat & half way down the backside of the airbox,[The 72s had the long flaps]. If I remember correctly the mud flap go's between the fender & the seat, yes,no? The mud flap on the bottom of the airbox, I'm guessing it hangs down between the back of the motor and the front of the swingarm axis point? My parts book & shop manual are not quite clear on the mounting of these items. Last, how far down on the rear fender does the tail light and rubber lisence plate mount go? [I have the very small tail light]Thanks for any help.I bought this bike new in spring 1973 then I sold it in fall 1974, I had not seen this bike for 28 years, but thanks to POG I was able to relocate my old bike last July.The bike had been sitting in a clean dry heated basement for nearly 25 years, but had been completly taken apart.I"M nearly ready for a test run,I have just forgotten how some parts were put together. Thanks again Crash Carden, GO TEAM PENTON!!!!!!

Doug Wilford

Crash,   The easiest way is to give yourself 9" from the rear of the fender to the rear mounting holes, if the mounting holes are both exposed on the back part of the frame loop.  # 2. The front of the fender should have enough, (maybe an inch) matierial past the mounting holes that makes a secure mount with the rubber under the fender. Frame, flap, fender in that order.  The lower flap just hangs between the swing arm and the brake rod.  I know you are having fun.   Good Luck!!

Edited by - Doug Wilford on 04/16/2003  4:20:45 PM

Mike OReilly

Hey Chuck. If you want a copy of the '72 brochure, it will give you a good idea of the amount of rear overhang at least. It won't help too much with the underseat area, but will give you an idea of the overall "look" and proportioning for both the front and rear alloy fenders.
Let me know.
Mike

crash carden

Thanks Doug,Thanks Mike. So Doug are you saying that the big mudflap go's under the fender, between the tire and the fender and the top of the fender is next to the seat? I Don't mean to sound stupid, just want to get it right. Thanks again Crash.

crash carden

Mike, yes I would like a copy of the 72 brochure. Thanks for your offer, please let me know if you need $ for your time and shipping cost. Thanks again Mike. ship to Chuck Carden 4647 s. 100 e. Kokomo,IN. 46902

crash carden

Mike, I was wondering is the brochure your talking about the full color 6 pages or so 72 sales brochure? If it is,I would like a copy of the entire brochure if possible.Thanks again, Crash.

Dennis D

The flap on my 72 Piner was between the frame and the fender when I took it apart to paint the frame. It had no evidence of ever been mounted under the fender. Dennis

Blue_Dog

Crash:
Flap first, fender second. You want the mud to run down the flap not between the finder and the flap.
B_D