Steel Tanks-Chrome or White?

Started by rob w, April 22, 2003, 12:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I would really like to know why some steel tanks had a chrome oval shown in the indented knee area, and some were white. My "70" is orange on white, but I've seen 70's that had chrome tanks. Is there any consistancy in which years got what, what if any is the story behind the chrome vs. white.
I found a place that can do the plating, they seperate the area you plan to paint, and leave a rougher surface so the paint will adhere better, does that sound right? Thanks again POG, your help is invaluable.

Larry Perkins

Are you talking about Wassels?  If not, I never saw a steel tanker Penton with a chrome indent area.  I have just seen white.  Husky maybe but not Penton.

Kip Kern

Rob  Yes, there were a few chrome tanked Pentons.  You want to talk to Doug Wilford about the history as he had something to do with it.  I currently have a chrome tanked "71" that is made of all NOS parts.  I had to make it as there wern't but a few of these bikes.  As far as the tank is concerned,you can have the entire tank chromed and use scotchbrite to rough up the paint area and then paint it.  Just like painting Husky tanks!

rob w

Yeah, I'd like to hear that one someday. I had'nt imagined the chrome knee panels were that rare. Seems like I've seen more than a few, maybe they just stand out because it's so pretty , Thanks for the reply and advice Kip. I'd like to take that route.

Doug Wilford

Gentlemen, This topic sounds like it would make a good article in the next issue of the POG Newsletter.   I will talk to the editor and see about getting it put in writting.  "Chrome Tank Pentons".   Like I said Bob, out of questions, comes answers!!