kickstarter breakage

Started by tomale, April 25, 2003, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Yesterday, while I was in the woods I broke a kickstarter, normally I would not be too upset but I had planned to race this saturday and it looks like I am out before I even get to the race. Things happen and I realize but it is disheartening to be so excited about something and then boom it is gone.
I was thinking about how this could have happen and I came up with the idea. The Kickstarter is situated in such a way that when you get to the bottom of the stroke it hits the footpeg right at the piviot point on the kicker. This in my mind makes it much more of a likelyhood that it will fail. IF it had hit past the piviot point (closer to the place where you put your foot) then the likelyhood of breakage would be dramically reduced. Is this an new idea or has someone came up with a way to make a replacement that takes this into consideration?
Interesting too was the amount of kickstarters I found as i was rummaging through a box of them that were set up to be on the right side of the bike and most of them pivioted at the shaft rather than half way up the arm. I guess I am not the only one that has thought of this.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Lenz

The stockers did that some. Alan Buehner has some that dont.

tomale

That is good to hear.
Al sent me one in fast order. I ordered it on friday and it arrived today. That is a four day turn around.
I was looking at it and it looks like it is much stronger. Better yet I went out to the shop and put it on my bike and it works better that the original. The bend in the middle of the upper part of the kick starter is gone and it angles out instead. It also sticks out beyond the foot peg a little further, which makes it alot easyier to kickstart. what is nice too is that it folds out of the way better too. This is a nice addition to my bike. I wish I would have done this before I broke the stock one.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W