Adjusting Fox Shox

Started by Mick Milakovic, April 28, 2003, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I need to know how to set a pair of Fox air shocks.  Assuming they don't leak oil or air, how do I set the air pressure within the shocks?  I own an air compressor, but I'm concerned about too much pressure getting in too fast and blowing the seals.  Also, what is a good starting point for the amount of pressure itself?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Randy Kirkbride

Mick,  Back in the 70s there was available a special guage to check pressure in Fox ais shocks. It would allow you to bleed the pressure dowm to what you needed. If you use a regular tire guage, the guage would use so much air that it would lower the pressure every time you checked it.  I haven't seen one of these for a long time but I'm sure there are still some out there, or an equivilant guage.  Anyone else remember these guages?
Randy

PS  I can't remember pressure used,  too long ago.

swamp fox

Mick,
There is a factory manual re-print of Fox piggyback & reservoir shocks on Ebay - item 2412970178. Don't know if this will help you any or not.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

swamp fox

Mick,
Also on Ebay, item 2412356327 is a Fox air shox rebuild kit with factory manual. It ends today 4/28 @ 20:26 Pm PDT.
The manual only ends on 5/3 @ 16:15 PDT.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Rocket

I have one of the airvalve guage setups you are talking about.  It threads onto the schroeder valve and it has a "T" handle that you turn clockwise to pressurize the shock, then turn counterclockwise and disconnect.  No pressure is bled off of the shock.  I use mine all the time when I rebuild modern shocks.  Should be able to call White Bros or some other suspension outfit and buy one from them.
Rocket

Mick Milakovic

Thanks all, you've been a great help.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

ksithumper

Mick, I have a manual - e-mail me off list ([email protected]) and I'll copy it for you.

The best air pump is a small one used for mountain bike shocks - it goes to 200psi and includes a gauge and no-leak valve.
Fox make 'em, so do others, any cycle store could help.

Mike Lenz

You can buy a regulator for your compressor and set the pressure you want. That way you will put no more than that in. If this is for a mc-5 I believe I put in 175 lbs on the high side and somewhere between 90 and 125 on the low side back in the day for expert class,mx to give you an idea where to start.

Mick Milakovic

Thanks again, all.  I know it's sacriligious, but the bike is 390CR Husky.  The air pressure setting shouldn't be too much different.  Anybody know what an MC-5 weighs?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

Mike Lenz

The Husky will take lower pressures due to the fact there is less leverage on the shock than an mc-5. You may be able to get the correct number from Fox Factory. They still sell rebuild kits, ect also. Tele 408-269-9201.