Spark Plugs

Started by [email protected], May 21, 2003, 05:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

What is the best "modern" spark plug to run in my 74 400 w/ gap. Also is it a short reach or long reach. My restoration project came with a long reach plug in it but I think its supposed to be short. I know its a dumb question but after countless hours and $$$ i almost done. Thanks!

tlanders

Short reach is correct, however, my favorite plug is the B8EG or B9EG for the 400 which is a long reach. It has a very strong stark but is not unreasonably priced like some of the platinum plugs. So I make a spacer and use it to make the reach the same as a short reach. 0.025" gap. Hope this helps.

Teddy

Lew Mayer

Just curious, but why would you use a long reach plug with a spacer when you could get the same plug in a b8hs or whatever NGK has for your heat range?

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

The B8EG is a racing plug that has a small electrode that creates a very high intensity spark. The B8HS has the normal fat electrode.

Teddy

Lew Mayer

Ted,
Is there such a thing as a B8HG that would be short reach with the small electrode?

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

tlanders

I don't believe so. I also don't believe the B9EG is available, but the B8EG has been working well in my Mint 400. Just check with your plug supplier. You'll find the EG plugs are much cheaper than the platinum racing plugs. My supplier said that they might start phasing out the EGs. I hope not.

Teddy

turkeycreek58

This is not Penton related but this same short reach plug.  Can I use it in my 78' 125CR Husky?  What other heat ranges are there for this type plug?  What other mfg's offer a short reach plug?

Thanks,
Steve