ISDT 4 minute tire changes

Started by Steve Minor, May 19, 2003, 08:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I've heard tales of ISDT riders being able to fix a flat in 4 minutes....I changed 2 tires yesterday and you could have timed me with a calander....not a stop watch. I tried to be real careful but I still pinched the tube on the front tire.....

Hey Dwight....what's the secret??

Steve Minor

Dwight Rudder

Practice, lots of practice.
Knowing exactly what you have to do, and when.
Knowing exactly what tools you need to have, and when.  Use Go-Jo on the tire to lube it up. Put just enough air in the tube to barely inflate it to hold its shape. Have the tube already in the tire. To remove start at valve stem and work your way around. After removing tube, you should be able to pop tire off using one tire iron and your knee / Hands.  
To install , place valve stem in the hole and put nut on stem. Pop tire onto rim . Throw the wheel down and starting opposite side from valve stem you work you way around both sides using baby bites on the tire irons . Hold tire into center of the rim using your knees. When you get to the valve stem , push stem in and take last bite. Have your pit crew air tire after you install tire on bike, while you are tightening the axle. Your rim should have rim pins to do this properly. You should be able to do this in 3 minutes.  I once changed 2 tires, brakes and chain in 12 minutes.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Steve Minor

I take my hat off to you Dwight. It sounds much easier than it is...thanks for the pointers.

I believe it was Rudyard Kipling that said: ..."You're a better man than I Gunga Din"....

Edited by - steve minor on 05/19/2003  12:01:00 PM
Steve Minor

metalkfab

My hat off to all ISDT/E and enduro riders for the fast changes.My trick is to go to the local bike shop.B.S. about vintage bikes while they use a tire changing machine and walk out with knuckles intact.Oh yea,don't get charged 'cause the owner thinks Penton's are really cool bikes and their shocked because I ride the bike down a major street to show them the bikes!

Steve Minor

My local bike shop wanted $20 each for mounting (if the wheels were already removed) and $35 each if they had to take the wheel off the bike. I think $40-$70 for mounting was a bit steep. Of course, mounting is free if I buy the tires from them....but that's a whole other story..

Steve Minor

tomale

Yes, my helmet off to all of you guys that have competed in the ISDT's You guys are amazing.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

I don't know about everyone else, but I know I never had rim locks on my ISDT machines, much time saved!!! Besides the pins in the sides of the rims, I would take a cold chisel and make indents on an angle that would dig into the sidewall of the tire if it tried to rotate. It also helped that the tire on the machine was usually warm when you were removing it. Another factor was that Mr.Penton would probably make you wash the Cycleliner for a month if ya screwed up!!!!!

Doug Wilford

There are many times that tires at the ISDT/Es were changed in less than four minutes.   The biggest factor was the fresh new rubber in the tires.   They could be taken off and on almost without the use of tools.  Compared to 30 year old stiff and hard old rubber that you cannot even get your fingers under the bead after you get the tire off one side.   I laugh at myself these days changing the old tires because it takes so long and hurts too!

Edited by - Doug Wilford on 05/20/2003  08:13:46 AM

BrianTaylor

To qualify for the CDN team in 75 we use to have to do tire changes after each Qualifier .On our 74 125 six days we use to do them in 2min 10 sec - 20 second range we use to blow any other make away beacuse of the way the rear wheel was designed...BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Paul Danik

Brian,
   Just how long is 2 min 10 sec Canadian in American time??????? All kidden aside you guys was fast, how about a demo at the ISDT reunion? Maybe we need to have a tire changing contest at the ISDT reunion. My money is on Doug Wilford, come on Dougieeee don't let us down!!!

BrianTaylor

Paul you are on the ball..... WE use metric time in Canada. To old now to do those tire changes .....  especially uneeded ones...Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

naga418

The sort of young guys do it fast as well. I was pitted last year next to Fred Hoess and Team Husky at one of the ISDE Qualifier. Fred does two tires, front and rear brake pads, and a fresh air filter in under 11 minutes on a regular basis. No clue how fast if he is in a hurry:)

1973 Berkshire 100
First Penton, but won't be the last!

TGTech

You guys are forgetting a couple of important elements in those quick tire changes: knee pads and adrenaline. Those things are good for at least 30 to 45 seconds.

I have lot of fun these days when I go to motocross events with my son. I will routinely turn my son's tires around after practice, just to be sure that he has the best edge on the tires for the race itself. When I start messing with the tires, people will assume that Paul had a flat and that it needs changing. After I finish up, they are usually standing around with their mouths open, not believing that I'd purposely mess with changing tires between practice and the race. "There just isn't enough time." they'll usually say.

Dane