400 pipe

Started by adrian_goold, June 05, 2003, 12:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian_goold

Guys,

I have '74 400 that am rebuilding. A pipe came with the bike that looked like it hadn't been used. I know, from pictures of other 400's, that the pipe is not original for '74. Could anyone tell me what model it is from , or whether the pipe was made by someone to suit the bike. This could be a possiblity as the header and exhaust flange had a white paint mark on it to show which way round the flange mounted to match the pipe. The flange comes straight out like the original also, not angle down like later models.
Check out this site to see pictures please. The photos are quite large, that's because this was my first attempt at a webpage!!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/hyrockpk/

There is a gallery showing what the bike was like when i bought up until about two weeks ago.

regards,

Adrian Goold
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

rob w

Hi Adrian, Nice bike! the model year on that is a 75, not a 74. I've never seen a 75 mx pipe,(they are about as rare as an albino wombat up here) but I think you may have one there by the looks of those triangle mounts. The pictures are not clear enough to be positive. Are you able to change your shocks to a upright position with that pipe. It looks as though you could'nt. I'll check into the archives to see if I can find some pictures of the 75 mx pipe.
Bob

adrian_goold

Yes the shocks can mount upright withthe pipe. It s-bends around the mounting area.
The engine numbers and frame numbers say that it is a '74.

Somone has fitted the pipe to the frame as a closer look shows that a couple of the other pipe mounting brackets have been removed.

Adrian

Edited by - adrian_goold on 06/05/2003  5:06:53 PM
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

Mike Lenz

The 74/75 400mx pipe looked the same as the 250 except the silencer was a little longer and it had the turn in the header pipe, same as the enduro pipe. However I cant view the pipe because stupid AOL signs off every time I go to the pictures of the bike??!!

Rocket

I looked through the pictures and I noticed the forks are from a 76 model, they have the ribs on the front side of the sliders.  Did you buy the bike all together or was it made from parts?  The pipe may have been the enduro style with the big muffler cone cut off.
Rocket

adrian_goold

The bike was made up from parts that i bought in one lot.
The forks must have been used on a road bike at one stage as the steering stem was modified and also the forks had a two-three inch lower spacer put in.
The pipe looked like it had not been touched in that way.

Adrian

Regards,
Adrian Goold
'73 175 running
'74 400 complete but in pieces
'78 250 running soon!
'80 250 project
'81 495 project
'00 250exc
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

Mike Lenz

I finally got to the picts. Your pipe is not a stock 400 mx pipe. It looks oem ktm due to it being stamped and also the mounts but its not stock. Looks similer to the pipe they had on the works 74 bikes in Europe, but those were cone welded pipes. Its def an early snake pipe design. Very interesting. I also noticed a bracket that looks to be for a full floating rear brake rod on the frame?