Motor rebuilding

Started by bkinnon, July 03, 2003, 03:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkinnon

I have two '73 Jackpiners that need  complete motor rebuilds. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am attempting restoration of both bikes.

'97 KTM Jackpiner 200LE
'80 KDX 250
'73 Jackpiner 175 (2)
'72 Jackpiner 175 original owner
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

imported_n/a

Kip Kern is a busy KTM rebuilder.  Give him a jingle.

Glenn

Mike Lenz

I have raced and rebuilt KTM moters all my life but am too buzy to do others. However my local KTM dealer has a mechanic that has done alot of Rotax motor work. Rotax moters are built very similer to KTM's with the three piece main bearings,tranny shaft end play setting,ect. He is an excellent mechanic and with my KTM motor tools and manuels, and a little advice here and there I feel he would do an excellent job in a timely fashion. Ive mentioned this idea to him in the past and he is interested in doing them. If interested I will have him work up a quote.Do you want all the bearings replaced or only the ones that feel lose or not smooth? There are certian transmission bearings I always replace when doing an engine, bearings that have givin me trouble over the years. But others I rarely replace if they look and feel good. Also oftin the mains are ok and only the rod needs replaced. What shape is your engine in? Does it run or is it locked up? What about the top end?

Mike Lenz

Obviously Kip would do an excellent job also. I guess when I read that I had in my mind that Kip wouldnt have the time, but maybe Im wrong? How about it Kip?

Kip Kern

Mike, I actually have some time now that I have retired from the military and only work one 40 hour a week job.  I have bikes going together for folks and myself but engines are easy as they take less time and room.  I mainly focus on the stock engine rebuild (Sachs/KTM) as "hop ups" are personalized as a signature and everyone has a different one or idea of one.  I also focus on the bare engine less ignition, I don't have them, or carb, anyone can rebuild a Bing.  
If I rebuild a engine for someone, it requires a spotless clean exterior and oil free interior unit to be shipped/delivered to me (extra $50 charge for dirty oily engines)  I clean and inspect carefully and use a dental pick to get ALL dirt and debris!  All parts/gaskets come from Al Buehner and he can bill you direct for them as  the labor is no problem for me.
  Additional costs can include "outside" work, cylinder boring/crank rebuild and welding.  I have Forest Stahl do all cylinders / cranks with another friend doing the precious metal welding.  Dollars and cents= I have done engines for as little as $350 to as much as $1500 depending on what gets shipped to me.  Hint and money savers:  Send ignitions to Dane L. @ Penton imports to get checked as that is what I would do.  Send cylinders/pistons to Forest Stahl or to someone you trust to bore/fit them as that is what I would do.  Rebuild and jet your own carb as they are to simple to do and you will learn something in the process.  This will save you a lot of money and time!  See you at Mid Ohio and if you need help, visit with me at the POG booth!