dont know maybee someone can help

Started by Steve W, July 11, 2003, 10:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

i have a 250cc penton bike and am needing several parts the only sn i have is 550-06966
stamped on the frame what  do i have
to start the quest for finding all the parts
to name a few carb filter box cables magneto
seat she is in pretty bad shape but i think it would be worth fixen up
the major problem with the motor is that the stud on crank shaft where the magneto mounts is stripped i believe i can repair it by installing a stud in its place
is there a reed block?

my email is [email protected]
thanks Steve

rob w

Steve,
 Hello and welcome to the Penton Owners Group. It is always great to hear from new people interested. Feel welcome to ask all the questions you'd like, I hope you pursue the refurbishing of your Penton, it may take a little time and effort, but everyone I know that does it, thinks it's worth the ride. Have you ridden Penton's in the past? What region of the country are you from?

From that frame number I would guess that you have a 1977 Penton MC5. You can describe it here to more detail or e-mail me a picture to nail it down.

Next I would purchase a "spare parts manual" for the frame and engine parts from either Larry Perkins or Al Buehner, you will find them in the "suppliers" section.

The threads on the end of the crank may be able to be chased with the correct metric die, or if it's too severe, be prepared to have the crank rebuilt new.

When it's certain you know which model you own, then the parts list can be addressed.
No Penton ever came stock with a reed valve installed, but after market reeds were available.

Bob

Steve Minor

Welcome to Pentonia.....you are about to "meet" some of the greatest, most helpful guys on earth. Like Bob said, first get a manual(s) from either Larry or Al. Do an inventory of parts you have and parts you need. Then start asking questions and looking for parts.Take you time, do it right and you'll be able to enjoy one of the best bikes ever made for many years. Above all, have fun.

Happy trails
Steve

Steve Minor

Steve W

no on the riding penton in the past
i have had this bike laying around for 15 years collecting rust lol it was in the same shape as it is now except some more rust is presant the story i got when i took it on trade it was a trials bike

i live in central okla. hot right now

just getting the kids into ridding
and got to thinking about the bike & thaught i could piece it back together for a little fun
as far as the crank the thread is destroyed
i work in a machine shop so the machine work will not be a problem what i was thinking of doing is sawwing the thread off and making a drill guide that fits the taper of the shaft and redrilling & tapping and installing the stud in its place it could all be done without splitting the case that what i dont want to do but if the drill guide dont work i will do that
thanks for the info
Steve