MC5 - VS - GS

Started by tmc3c, August 03, 2003, 06:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What are some of the difference's between the mc5 and the gs model, if you had the motor's pulled out and both bike's and set up to run motocross ? Is the frame lighter? more gusset's ? I know the seat and tank are different,but what else? Oh yeah I am talking about 1976. Thanks All !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike Lenz

In 76 the two bikes were totally different. The GS was the old 74/75 frame and the MC was a tottally new frame. In 77 the GS had an adapted version of the new mc frame.

tmc3c

Mike, Thank's for the info! Do you know if the weight difference was major? Do you like the mc-5 frame or the old style? or is the difference so minor that you don't feel it.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike Lenz

The mc-5 frame is MUCH lighter than the frame breather and the suspention is vastly improved. The 76 enduro can be ridden in either vintage[with the correct forks and rear end travel limited] or post vintage. The mc-5 is strictly post vintage. It all depends on what class you want to race in.

jj

The June '76 issue of Cycle World claims that the mc5 MX frame is 11 pounds lighter then the old style, the new Marzocchi's up front have 8.7" of travel and the rear only has a single lay down rear shock position. I have seen quite a few of the mc5's with enduro kits installed, like the one I'm currently restoring. One easy way to tell an actual MX from an Enduro is that the Enduros have a frame loop behind the seat holding up the rear fender and they have a high breather frame design, this goes for both the '76 old style and later '77 & up GS models.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

tmc3c

I have the leading axle marzocchi fork's and marzocchi piggyback rear shocks and it is the high breather frame with the rear loop on the fender.I am going to set it up as a motocross,I have the small mx tank. the motor is 1974 250 with a reed valve, and from what I am told that the 74 motor didn't have a reed valve, so who know's what it is.I am going to send it to Kip Kern. So with all of this being said I guess I am going to have to make up time in the corner's for what I loose in the straight-away's in the post vintage class. Can I run the cross country class without light's? Is this class like the hare scrambles of now!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

Thomas

The Vintage and Post-Vintage Cross Country races are like todays Hare Scrambles.  Lights and speedo are not necessary.  The big difference in todays HS and Vintage Cross Country is the Vintage ones are one hour and the course is wider and alot easier.  Any of the KTM Pentons are competitive in MX or Cross Country.  Some are better than others but all can be won on.