Air Cap Front Shocks

Started by Blue_Dog, August 16, 2003, 03:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_Dog

Would like some opinions on how the after market air caps on front shocks are suppose to work and if you pressurize them and how much. Do I remember the original caps having check valves in them?
Thanks,
Blue_Dog

Rocket

B_D
The original fork caps have the spring and ball in them.  I was never a big fan of the air forks.  I can remember running from 6-10lbs in them.  I think a person can do better job of tuning with the oil level.  If the forks bottom out, raise the oil level 10mm etc.  If you start riding with 6lbs of air pressure, as the forks move they build prssure and you end up with very stiff forks.
I aquired a 74 Jackpiner, any interest B_D?  Original, starts on first kick and runs very well.
Rocket

Blue_Dog

Rocket:
P.E. to you on the Piner. I thought the purpose of the bleed valve was to pull in air as the spring and shock start back up from the bottom. This would add air to the dampening ie. air shock controlled dampening.?
B_D

Blue_Dog

Rocket:
Did you get my E on the 175?
B_D

James

It's funny -I remember adding air to forks and stiffening them up. This is years ago( last bike I did this on was an 81 rm 250 some time in the 80's).

Since then I have not used air-but like stated here-oil level (and weight). I also remember hearing to bleed air out of the forks after riding. Very interested in responses to this as I am heavy (220) and not particularly smooth (although slow).
thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Rocket

B_D
Did you get my email with the pictures of the 74 175?  I sent them last night.
Rod

Blue_Dog

Rocket:
Nothing yet...  I know you have this but..
[email protected]
B_D

Mike Lenz

Ive used air from time to time with good results. Very Soft springs with alot of air are not the way to go, I feel. However if your springs are a little soft for you a pound or two may be alot eisier than trying to find the perfect spring. Oil levels are really only good for bottoming "harshness" resistance. If your springs are too soft you should correct that by stiffer springs or a little air. If your springs are just right and you dont have bleeders in your caps you do need to let out the air pressure or they may become too stiff. Also if using air remember the pressure will go up during the day as it gets hotter out. This happens to your tires too. Iv e seen tires gain 3 pounds if aired up early in the day.