Bike Transportation

Started by OUCWBOY, September 23, 2003, 01:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Ok folks, I am strongly considering setting up my trailer to do long distance pick up and delivery of bikes. Kinda want to get a feel of how many of you might be interested in using this service from time to time. I just don't know if it would be profitable or not. Any inupt or ideas would help greatly!  I quessing I would need to haul 12 to 15 bikes a month to make it work.
Thanks

Donny Smith

Edited by - oucwboy on 09/23/2003  01:07:07 AM
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Donny, Man I don't know,But if you could tie it in with these deal,s like guided ride's in Baja or different places and then get in touch with some of the off road clubs that want to go to other states and ride,it might float.I always wanted to line up some guy's in POG and get them to come to S.C. and ride with Robert { SWAMP FOX } and myself.Robert being on the coast and Myself being in the upstate, it could be fun.And in comes your service. Yeah I can see it now, how about you?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Donny - You certainly have the right equipment and I MAY need a bike picked up in Lakeside,Ca.  So I think from the stand point of Ron(Dirt N Dune) not being able to keep up with demand there is a market out there.  I'm thinking scheduling is everthing i.e. pick a  region and service that area.  Just my thoughts.  Respectfully

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

Donny,
Thomas might be on to something. I'm just going to need a little more time to get mine all back together. Dr. Doug sent me my newly "Wilfordized Special" back and it's sitting in the garage waiting for the frame to get ready! So much to do and not enough time.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Blue_Dog

I have two bikes in Pa that will need a ride
to East Tx no hurry. Just to give you some input.
B_D

Big Mac

A very friendly guy wit some good info on this would be Bob Borg, aka CZ Bob, out of SLC, Utah area. Bob travels pretty far and wide attending most AHRMA vintage and classic events in the west, and pulls a large trailer usually full of his and others bikes being transported to race or bought/sold.

Two of us up here in Portland hooked up with Bob at the Chehalis WA national last Sept and threw our bikes in his trailer for transport to last year's ISDT-RR in Mo. We flew in that weekend for the event. Took several months to hook up with him to get the bikes back, but that's another story. He charged $200, which is a great deal considering he had bike, gas and tools sitting out waiting for us as we arrived there in a rent-a-wreck a half hour before the impound deadline.

Last I heard Bob was planning to make this month's reunion ride, so look him up there if you see him...probably one of very few CZ enduro bikes entered. His # is 435-563-8640. He could probably shed some light on the plusses and minuses. Donny, by the way, thanks for the gas cap. Mac

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

rd400pi

Donny,
  I got to thinking about this the other day after I posted about Ron.  Maybe what would work for an initial hack would be kind of a regional deal, ie: Southwest U.S..  That might keep transpo times/prices a little lower.  Who knows, maybe even some sort of hub/spoke type of arrangement would work for the national level.  Would require a few players to cover sections of the country.  That way Donny (for instance) could just stay in Southwest and deliver his area after meeting at boundry with Midwest guy.  I think if I have a couple more beers this plan will really take off!

Mike Husted

rd400pi

Donny,
  I got to thinking about this the other day after I posted about Ron.  Maybe what would work for an initial hack would be kind of a regional deal, ie: Southwest U.S..  That might keep transpo times/prices a little lower.  Who knows, maybe even some sort of hub/spoke type of arrangement would work for the national level.  Would require a few players to cover sections of the country.  That way Donny (for instance) could just stay in Southwest and deliver his area after meeting at boundry with Midwest guy.  I think if I have a couple more beers this plan will really take off!

Mike Husted