headlight & speedo bracket correctness ?

Started by Mike Berrington, October 01, 2003, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

this is for a 1973 Jackpiner. After much digging around it appears I have the wrong headlight.  I have the larger headlight with the bracket on top for the number plate (1974 ??).  It appears I should have the smaller unit that requires the number plate to be attached by the clip-on bracket and O-ring.

Also the speedometer bracket is the same vintage that clamps to the cross bar instead of mounting to the steering head nut.

Question is how "wrong" would be to use what I have?  I do not plan on doing any serious shows but do plan on displaying and light riding.  If it is best to get the other parts I will have some more stuff to buy and some stuff to sell.  (I hope that does not influence your recommendations.. :-))

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

firstturn

Mike  -  It sounds like you have some nice accessories for your 175.  I would say run what you have and it you find the other parts buy them and add as you go.  I don't intend to get in a discussion with what other people like or don't like, just make it nice and update as you go.  I am looking at a early brochure  as I type this and the Jackpiner has a small headlight, speedo mounted to the handle bar and a rubber flap holding the small tailightand space for a license plate.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike OReilly

Those items wouldn't necessarily be "wrong" for your bike. As with all of the components on the Penton/KTM's, when a particular part was used up in production, it was replaced with the updated item (at any point in the production run).

Thus the same model of bike may well have different components on it. Some bikes may even have inconsistencies between components (ie: my Jackpiner produced in late '72, has the large style headlight, but the older style speedo mounting). The photos in the brochures are of bikes early in the production run, and the components that came on the bikes may well be different - as I say it depends on when the bike came down the line and what was in the parts bin at the time it was assembled.
Mike

Lew Mayer

Mike,
I have a 73 that I bought new. I remember that it too had a big headlight on the 32mm forks and didn't fit worth a damn. It was the only thing I thought was cobby on the bike. I think the big headlight probably fit much better when they changed to the 35mm forks which I believe was right after mine was produced.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

One addition to Lew and Mike O's comments are that I have seen dealers that couldn't sell the MX model and put the headlights and speedo drive that he had in stock or vise versa take the enduro equipment off bikes to make a MX model.  Good comments especially on the headlight not fitting correctly.  As I have stated before I have a early 1972 JP and it has the big headlight with the speedo mount on the steering head, but has a handle bar mount - now that I have thoroughly confused everyone I'll go work on my Gyro(Honda).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh