Fiberglass Tank Work

Started by tmc3c, September 30, 2003, 07:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Who is a good person or shop to repaint and fix stress cracks in a tank and paint side cover's to match the original Penton color's for 76, also I have heard several answer's on what color the 76 250gs number plates were, is there a paint chart so I can match everything up to spec.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

If running a AHRMA event do all the plates have to be white? The reason I ask is I want to have the side panels done over and painted to original spec's and I thought they were green. Did the 76 gs come with green plates? or was that only the mc5?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
If you are talking about just 250 bikes, the 73 yellow tank bikes and the 74's are the only years that I can remember they came with green number plates.  I believe all other 250's were yellow.  I think all the other sizes were yellow for all years.
Rocket

firstturn

I agree with Rocket, because I remember that AMA had to get involved because of FIM color rules and it was also meant that the Pentons were ready with the correct colors.  My early 250's had green plates.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

So the 76 gs was yellow ? with white plate's ? This could pose a problem for me when I have my tank redone being it is a red mx tank, who does the work for ya'll ? Rocket you did wonder's with my rear shocks do you do glass work too ?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
250 bikes:
73 yellow w/green # plates
74 red w/green # plates
75 red w/ yellow # plates
76 red/ w/yellow # plates
Also in 76, I believe the later models were coming as orange w/yellow # plates.
77 orange w/yellow # plates.
Rocket

tomale

Just to agree with rocket.... My MC5 came with a red tank and yellow plates. I knew the KTM's came that way but did the Pentons come that way too? I did not realize that they changed colors in mid year. so I could have a 76' 250 that was either Red of Orange? Is that right?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rocket

Yes you could have a 76 with an orange tank.  Some of the last oval tube frame bikes were orange before they became GS6's and MC5's.  Some of the 76 orange tankers has straight leg Ceriani forks and some had leading axle Ceriani or Marzocchi.  Chip Thomas has a 76 250, orange tank, straight leg Ceriani forks.
Rocket

tmc3c

Rocket, when you say oval tube's ,are you talking about the tubes coming up to the rear shock's also what the swing arm is connected to.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket