front brake cable

Started by Steve Minor, October 21, 2003, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Anybody have a source for a front brake cable for my 77 400gs6? The last one I got from Al B. was a Terrycable and I wasn't too crazy about the little cable clamp on the end. And, I had a problem with it at the ISDTRR. Maybe I'm not adjusting it properly.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve,
 the summer ,fall and winter issues of Still Keeping Track 2002 have a string of articles on how to set up a 250 for AHRMA mx.
 The bike or bikes were ridden by Kevin Brown and Gary Roach,
 Motion Pro was mentioned as the supplier of a front brake cable built to their specs.
 Contact one of the riders and or Kent Knudson who wrote the article for Keeping Track and you should get a source.
 We have one of the Terry cables, what went wrong? Peters 125 for the street will be useing it so thats a very real consern for me.
John D.

Kip Kern

Steve,   I used the "Terry Cable"  at the ISDTRR and it worked perfect (72 CMF 125cc).  You may not have the set up correct, it took me a minute to look at it and make it work right.

metalkfab

I'm running the front cable mentioned on a 175 and a 125.Thet work great with no problems,just look ugly at the mounting end.

Steve Minor

I had a problem in one of the steep downhill sections on Day 1. I suspect that the clamp slipped because I wound up with no front brake and no method of adjustment without loosing the entire cable clamp and re-setting the cable. When I got home, I took the clamp off and found several frayed strands on both the brake end and on the handlebar end of the cable.

Perhaps I didn't have it set up properly in the first place...or it might have been the white knuckle grip I was using on the downhill section...(haha)

Steve
Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Steve,
I ordered my cables direct from Terrycable and they do not have the clamp on the bottom like the ones that Al sells.  The  part # for the front brake is PEN14020FB with 6mm adjuster.  Hope this helps.