Front brake cable question

Started by Steve Minor, November 01, 2003, 01:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I had a front brake cable problem at the ISDTRR and just received a new cable from Al B. It, as was the other, is a Terrycable with that little cable clamp on the brake arm end. I know I'm not stupid (debatable)but I'm having trouble getting it hooked up and adjusted properly. I get everything set as I think is should be, I totally run out of adjustment before the brakes work. They are new brake shoes too so wear isn't the problem.

I had the same trouble preping for the ISDTRR.

Any hints or advice is appreciated!
Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve  ,
 did you have the brake arm off the backing plate when you did the restoration? you could be one or two splines off on the arm when it was put back on. that would give you the problem your describing.
John D.

Steve Minor

Thanks John....yes, I did have the arm off of the backing plate.....What position should the brake arm be in....3:00, 6:00...somewhere in between?

Thanks, as always, for your help

Steve Minor

Kip Kern

Steve  You can move the front and rear brake arm anywhere it is best for you.  I usually take it as far back as it will go like the 5 o'clock position and route my cable from there.  I adjust the adjuster all the way in until I have the cable completed and that way, I have the whole adjuster to use in the future.  If you need it, I can take a digital of mine and send it to you!

john durrill

Some where inbetween lol!
 do you have an old stock cable? use it to set up the distance from the the adjustment boss to the cable end with the adjusters screwed all the way in . both the handle bar and the one on the backing plate.
 then put the arm on the splines to the brake cam. see  how it fits. move it one spline at a time till it right. we set it up so the arm has to rotate a bit befor it goes on the cable but does not cause the brake to drag. Has some free play with both adjusters all the way in. make very sure the nut that holds the brake arm on the cam is tight. the splines are in good shape and the threads are good. both on the cam and in the nut. Al has new nuts if you need one . they are a special fine thread . i think its a 8 buy 1mm.
 this can have very serious consequences if the arm slips on the splines.
 then set the new cable up and install it and you should be set.
 have any questons or problems give me a call at home. untill we get the damage repaired from the rr to my shoulder and neck, i'm stuck at home and going stir crazy chuckle chuckle
 John D.

firstturn

John,
  I hope you are doing OK?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron , no change in me . it will be  near thanksgiving befor i can see a nero surgeon. Hope he can figure out whats wrong and how we might get it fixed. this is a big pain in the neck. chuckle chuckle, literally
 hope i can get back in the woods soon. Rick G. is haveing a ride in Tally befor Xmas i would very much like to make that.
John D.