Steel tank petcocks / steering bearings

Started by t20sl, November 07, 2003, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Does anyone know if these petcocks are rebuildable?  If not is there a replacement available?  Also does anyone have a fix for loose steering bearing cups?  Appears that the frame is stretched or worn and new cups are loose fitting instead of a press fit.

Rocket

T20sl
Al Buehner has the rebuild kits for the petcocks.  He is listed under parts on this site.
What I have done in the past with the steering head having a loose cup fit is, heat the area with a torch and then lightly tap with a hammer around the outside of the race area. That will shrink it up enough to make the race tight.  Probably not the best method in the world, but it does work.  I am sure a machine shop could remachine the area and sleeve it.  That would be the correct, but expensive way to do it.
Rocket

Kip Kern

Yes, and Yes!  As Rod mentioned, you can get rebuild kits from Al.  New modern fuel proof petcocks are available from Domi Racer and Bing International.  "Knurl" the outer bearing races or the interior frame steering stem to make the races fit tight

Dennis D

Another thought on the steering bearings. You may want to look
at some of the industrial epoxys that are available. Apply to the races and install in the steering head and install stem and brgs.
This will square up the races with the head.After it sets up remove the brgs. and lube it all up. I've done this with some wheel brg.races with success. Dennis D

john durrill

Kip,
 what do you use and how do you hold the races in the setup to knurl the races? thats a good way to do it.
 the epoxy we have tried and will post how it works out over time. a spring loaded centerpunch  or using a center punch and taping lightly all around the cup in the frame will work if the races are not too loose. Its called stippling in gunsmithing circles.
 Its a gunsmithing trick use on 45 auto frames. we have used it on target 45's to enhance the shooters grip on a bullseye gun.
 John & Peter

Kip Kern

I guess I have been "stippling" instead of "knurling"!  I'll bet you could still use a knurling tool if you placed the race over a inner bearing tool and expanded the tool to hold the bearing in place then knurl it as you would a piston.

Gavin Housh

The fast easy way to fix your steering bearing race problem is with a center punch and a hammer. You can't touch the outside of the bearing race with any tool. The race is hardened. So you should work on the more workable material, and that would be the frames head tube. Have you ever noticed how when you use a center punch it raises the metal around the small hole it makes. Place a series of punch marks evenly spaced around the inside bore of the steering tube where the bearing will make contact with the tube once the bearing is driven all the way in. If you don't get enough distortion the first try you can try more punch marks, or give the existing marks another good hit with the punch and hammer. Good luck.     Gavin