Salvation

Started by Wrecker, November 04, 2003, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrecker

I've had a 74 Penton in my shed for years, I won it on a bet. I think it's a 400 but I haven't uncovered it yet. Thanks to the vast knowledge within this forum I've about got the itch to dig it out. I'm an old dirt bike fan raised on XL's that somehow stumbled into the street, I thought I had a relic with no place to find parts, it appears not. Looks like it's time to hit the trails come Spring.
Thanks to all.

imported_n/a

Wrecker,

Welcome to POG.  Good luck on getting your Penton back in running shape.  If you need any questions answered, we are all here to help you.

Glenn

Steve Minor

Welcome aboard Wrecker....You are about to enter the land of Pentonia....of which there is no return.

There are a couple of things I think you should do right away:

(1) Find the serial number on the frame....should be on the right side of the steering neck. This will verify the year. Then find the motor serial number....this will tell you the size. Post both numbers here on this web site and someone can give you all the info on your bike.

(2) Once you find out the year/size, call Al Buenher (parts supplier) in Cleveland, Ohio (216) 651-6559. He can supply the manuals.

Then decide the future of your Penton...Whether you race it, trail ride it or restore it, you won't be sorry you kept it!

Good luck
Steve
Steve Minor

Paul Danik

Wrecker,
   Welcome aboard the Penton Express!!!  What area of the country are you from?

Paul

Wrecker

I'm in Hermitage TN, east of Nashville born and raised.
The serial # of this bike appears to be S4 407 76032, that "S" could be a 5. I found this on a receipt which was easier to get to than the bike, yea I know it's sad, but I WILL DIG IT OUT!
Thanks for the support.

AndyL

Wrecker,
Looks to be a July 1974 bike.  That S is most likely a 5, like you thought.

Now you have to find the motor serial number as Steve suggested and it will ID the bike.

AndyL
75 Jackpiner
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Wrecker

The monster has been exposed.
Engine # 4-540217, from the infomation of this valuable site tells me is that it is a 250 rather than a 400. Would it be possible to have a 400cc barrel and head? I remmember being told it was a 400.
It has a red tank w/ a blk and white straight stripe, white fender on the rear, whats left of it, no front.  No lights but a lot of wiring for just a motorcrosser. The side covers are red with green centers. It appears to have had lights on it so I'm hoping this is an enduro model. The coil looks new - "motoplat electronics" - stamped on it (it this cleanest part on the bike).
If someone has a stock picture of what sounds like this bike, I would enjoy seeing what I can look forward to.

Auto5guy

Wrecker

From the home page of this site select "Photo Gallery".  From Photo Gallery select the right most picture, 2003 ISDT Reunion Ride.  From the Reunion ride page select Penton Motorcycles.  The second picture in the second row is a 74 250.  The first picture of the fourth row is a 74 400.

Matthew
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Wrecker

That looks close, the tank is like the one above it and the engine has KTM rather than Sachs. Of course,I don't know its history and parts may have been swapped.

Auto5guy

Wrecker

There is another red tank 250 in the 2003 Vintage motorcycle days photo section. First picture second row

Matthew
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Wrecker

That's it. Mine does have headlight ears though. I guess the bikes are basically the same, one being an enduro and the other a motocrosser?
Out of curiousity, the fine examples in these photos are very appealing, what would such a bike be worth? What did they sell for new?
I'm a BMW rider (74R90s) most of the "R" bikes are retaining their value and it looks to me like Pentons didn't change much over the 70's either, this is one reason why old Beemers resale so good today. Would some of you agree that Pentons are similar, in that respect?
Either way, from what I've read from this site, you guys and the bikes are a special breed.

firstturn

The Pentons depending on condition(of course) I think have retained their value well.  The BMW you own is a piece of history and fast.  Welcome to the group.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh