74 ktm/penton silver 175 lower end

Started by G Ellis, December 01, 2003, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Ellis

Can anybody tell me if a 74 silver 175 lower end , has the same stroke as a 77 175 lower end? If it is the same stroke, can you put a 77 cylinder on a 74 silver lower end?

Dr.2Stroke

as i know the 77 175,this had a total other cylinder with another height. i think that this doesnt work. the piston skirts changed also in 77,so a 77 piston will not firt on a 74. the stroke of a 74 might be the same as the 75,but i need to check out in the manuals.

Rocket

The 72 thru 76 175 cylindars had 7 fins and used a piston that was almost 3" tall.  The 77 on had 6 fin cylindars and the pistons were approximately 2 5/8" long.  I believe they both had a 54mm stroke and I think the cylindars will interchange.
Rocket

G Ellis

Thanks for the info. Did some checking, 74 lower end, is the same stroke as the 77. All I have to do is use the 77 cylinder and 77 piston. When I use both of these, I have to use shorter cylinder bolts. Like what is on the 77 lower end. This info well help me get a spare motor for next year. Thanks again

Rocket

The exhaust manifold on the 77 comes out at a sharper down angle, might be just difference in the pipes, not the cylindars.
Rocket

G Ellis

I am going to use the 74 lower end with the 77 cylinder as a back up for my GS6 77 next year.thanks for the info