Deck Height 175

Started by Jdbglover, November 09, 2003, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdbglover

I am trying to finish up on my rebuild of a 1976 175cc engine.  I am to the point of setting the cylinder deck height.  The manual says the deck height is almost always .7 mm but to look on the cylinder to make sure.  Well two cylinders that I have both have whats looks to be a 1 stamp on them right above the cast in part number. Does this mean I should set the deck height to a 1 mm height.

Thank You
John

G Ellis

Set deck height to .028-.030 I would set it at .029 Don't forget to drill lube hole in your piston on exhaust side.

Jdbglover

Thanks for the reply.  I have already drilled the hole on the exhaust side.  I had to order the drill bit 1.2mm in a quanity of five.

John

Kip Kern

Good Question. If you look at 3 Penton/KTM shop manuals, you will get 3 measurements.  If you buy 3 different brand pistons you will get 3 measurements.  The last new Wiseco piston I installed called for lube holes (2) at .060-.090 in diameter, of course, different locations below the lower ring than other piston brands.  The bottom line:  Go with what comes with the piston instructions, both on the lube hole dimensions and deck height dimensions.  The last new Wiseco indicated .035 deck height for 175cc.