New Pog Members ( one almost eveyday???)

Started by DKWRACER, November 12, 2003, 10:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

I am astounded by the remarkable amount of new members showing up on our forum, I hope this continues, I hope there is enough to go around. Interesting Kudos written by the staff of Cycle World within the article about the new KTM 990....John Penton's name was once again mentioned, guess we have a lot to do ehh boys, the legacy lives on......
Thomas Brosius

vmx1963

Well here's the reason I joined...

I actually visited this site a few times before realising that when you Yanks taked about a Penton you were actually referring to a KTM!
;)

A little embarrasing I admit, but you guys are such a great bunch that I'm sure I'll be forgiven :)

tomale

What a beautiful bike, I was abit confussed before I joined last year, I joined because even though I knew that my bike also came with the penton name on it I thought that there were alot of KTM's to be had here in the states as well. To my amazement that was not the case. As it turns out, most people do not know that you could buy Penton/KTM either with Penton on the tank or as a KTM is is the same bike... at least in the 76 MC5's are. I was told that they came off the assembly line the same but depending on where they were going to be sold would determine what name they would have on them. In most places of the world that year. the bike had KTM on the tank, but if they were going to be sold on the east side of the states then they came with Penton name on it. I think that the same is true for the year 1977. Then in 78 only the KTM name. This became important because it opened a whole new door for information to keep my bike running.
Glad you joined
Are we still called Yanks?.... not that I mind.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

metalkfab

Actually,there was more than sticker differences to Penton and KTM.In '76 the KTM MC5 125 was sold with a 6-speed transmission and 200mm straight leg Ceriani's,whereas the '76 Penton MC5 125 had a 5-speed trans. and 220mm leading axle forks.This is according to the lit. I have.Also MC5 250 and 400 Penton's had 220mm vs.KTM's 210mm forks. Seems odd.

imported_n/a

Karl,

I saw a photo from the '77 Gran Prix series in Europe which showed Moiseev running his 250 factory KTM with straight leg Marzocchis.

Glenn

veelab

Also steel tank and CMF Pentons were sold in Europe as KTMs. Or KTMs were sold in the US as Pentons, depending on your view of the world.
Steel tanker KTMs were only sold in small numbers and are quite rare today I guess. Business really took of with the introduction of the '71 fiberglass tank KTMs.

Bernd

veelab

congratulations btw, ....beautiful bike

b

Mike Lenz

vmx1963

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike Lenz

Are you going to race that??

Yes, as sacrilegious as it seems it will be raced in next year's season.  My wife won't let me keep it in the bedroom.