1977 KTM 250

Started by LARRY REED, November 26, 2003, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRY REED

I found a 77 kTM 250.. bottom end id full of oil/water, but .020 over wiesco and cylinder look good. is it worth fixing? or parting out? who has parts or used lower end?

firstturn

What does the rest of the bike look like?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Larry  If the engine has/had water in it, the magnesium is most likely "junk".  You will put close to a grand in the engine alone!  All of the bikes are worth fixing but it depends on how much you want to spend.  Good KTM engine cases are getting very hard to find.

Dr.2Stroke

i have "tons" of good mag cases on stock. no,but i guess there are about 5 or 6 in top condition on stock,250$,plus shipping. also lower ends with or without iginitions and so. and top condition doesnt mean EBay condition...... Dr.2Stroke, [email protected]

LARRY REED

Needs the usual soft parts- bars, grips, perches,seat cover, fenders,air filter element,tires. I really don't need another racer right now- thats why I'm undecisive about what to do with it.
I'm trying to fight off my usual compuction to restore anything I run into.

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

What does the rest of the bike look like?

Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Larry,
You can always put the project on the back burner and pick up parts at swap meets, etc.  I always find parts when I'm not looking for them.  It is the last year of Pentons.  If you have the room just start a collection area for that bike.  As Kip said they are all worth saving then it is just a question of money.  There I feel better now.  Happy Thankesgiving.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

herman

If you decide to part it out i would be interested in the engine complete.Thanks Herm phone is 616 842-1747
Herm