175 Jetting

Started by Danny Poteet, December 12, 2003, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Poteet

Does anyone know what the stock jetting was for the 1976 175 Penton?
Main, Needle Jet, Needle, and Needle position?

Blackbird Rider
Blackbird Rider

john durrill

does your cylinder have 6 fins or 7? and what size Bing do you have?
John D.

Danny Poteet

John,

I don't know about the fins or the Bing.  I check this evening and get bact to you.

Thanks for the reply,

Danny

Blackbird Rider
Blackbird Rider

Danny Poteet

John,

I check, my 175 has 7 fins on the cylinder barrel and the Bing carb has the number 84 cast into the body.  

Thanks again,

Danny

Blackbird Rider
Blackbird Rider

john durrill

Danny,
 you should have another set of # on the carb somewhere, i'm guessing its a 30 mm.
main jet 150
needle jet 276
needle clip position 3 down from the top
pilot jet 30
 your oil to gas mix will change these setting some. Make sure you pipe is cleaned out ( burned out) the scilencer is cleaned out . your air filter in good shape and not too much oil on it.
 set the idle mix screw at 1 and 1/2 out and you should be at a very good starting point. get the bike hot ( at least 15 mins of running ) befor you try and adjust the mix screw and check the rest of the jetting out.
 if you can replace the needle jet with a new one. they wear  fast and will drive you nuts jetting if worn.
 Hope this was some help
 John D.

Danny Poteet

John,

Thanks, this should help.  I'm pretty sure that I don't have too much oil on the air filter.  But, I haven't cleaned out the spark arrestor, though I have been thinking that that could be my problem.  You're probably right about it being a 30mm, but I'll verify that before a proceed with the jetting.  Thanks again.

I don't want to make this too long a post,,,,, but, some background.  I purchased the bike new in 1976.  I actually traded in a 1994 100 Penton.  Years later I sold it to my brother.  He didn't maintain it very well and I bought it back from him several years ago.  I began a frame up restoration about 3 years ago.  And if I say so myself, (and I will), the bike looks very good today.  

Danny
Danny

Blackbird Rider
Blackbird Rider

john durrill

make sure you burn the whole pipe out not just the endcap and replace the old fiberglass packing.
 the pipe has to be carboned up from wht you say .
 best of luck
JOhn D.