Top triple clamp removal

Started by farmer58za, December 22, 2003, 12:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer58za

Hi guys
I've just revieved previous posts on the ceriani straight leg forks that are on my '75 KTM GS400. The top triple clamp is fitted to the legs with a taper. How do I remove the top triple clamp?

I just need to remove the two headlamp clamps so that I can fit a PP headlight.

I've owned British bikes in the past and the clamp grip on the taper is usually broken by using a piece of wood and a hammer and giving the clamp a good clout upwards adjacent to the tube.

Please help before I break something.

Regards
David
Regards

David

James

David, with the bike on a stand.. Remove the steering stem nut.
Remove both fork caps. removing the handlebars may also be helpful.
Loosen and remove the allen head pinch bolts on each side of the forks. Then using a dead blow or said block of wood rap it loose.
Upon reassmbly.. I always loosened the lower pinch bolts, axle and pinch bolts on axle.

After replacing steering stem nut, Fork caps, and handlebars (tighten only bars). This sounds stupid but..I bump the front wheel of the bike against a tree or a Jap bike a few times. Then I tightened the axle pinch bolts, steering stem nut, fork caps, axle nut, lower pinch bolts, and upper pinch bolts in this order.
 I don't know if I always had a bent fork leg or something but this is the only way that the front end worked without binding.

Pentons in South Africa... Cool. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

farmer58za

Regards

David

Mark Annan

Hey David.

Here is how I did it.  I just loosened the pinch bolts on the lower clamp, loosened the fork cap a turn or two, then gave each a good rap with a dead blow hammer (or block of wood and a regular hammer).  The taper popped free rather easily.  If it is stuck very firmly you might heat the taper area a little bit.  If you concentrate the heat on one side it will heat and expand unevenly (a good thing in this case) and it might pop loose easier.

Mark