Wanted: Sachs sprocket puller

Started by Rocket, December 20, 2003, 05:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

Anybody out there is POG land have a Sachs sprocket puller in good conditon they would like to get rid of for a reasonable price?
thanks
Rocket

john durrill

Rocket ,
 Al showes them in his parts flyer. Jake would be a good second choice.
 We made one (befor we knew we could still buy them) from a puller we got from Auto Zone. It was used in car front ends Pitman arms or tie rods. Had to grind the edges of the puller just a bit for it to fit.
Its a very heavy puller and has worked well for 2 years now.
John D.

Kip Kern

Rod,  I use the same thing John recommended and it works great.  The sachs puller isn't half the size or strength as a pitman arm puller. Al should have the Sach pullers though as when we picked up his big inventory from Mefford's, there were tons of them in a box.  Merry Christmas

Rocket

Thanks John and Kip for the reply.  I am going to get a pitman arm puller tomorrow.
thanks again,
Rod

Kip Kern

Rod  As John mentioned, you will have to trim a touch off of the "fingers" of the puller to get it to fit perfect.  I used a die grinder and it took about ten minutes to get it perfect.

Rocket

John and Kip,
Picked up a pitman arm puller tonight at Auto Zone, $15, and did a little grinding, slipped a 3/8 pipe cap over the shaft end and popped the sprocket off.  Worked great!!
thanks
Rod

john durrill

Rocket,
 would you like a protective cap for pulling the sprocket ? its used also on the primary side when removing the inner race from the crank also.
 i have some stock cut to length and can make a few up. we used some Grade 8 bolts to get the stock from . its hard on drill bits and end mills but i could make up one or two. can resharpen the drill bits but the end mills are not in my skill range, chuckle.
 The Doc cleared me to do light things at home. i have to quit when the pain level goes up but its good for me to work some till it does. cant go back to work till the 28 of jan so im very bored.
 *GRIN*
 i can do 15 to 20 mins at a streach then quit for an hour or so and go back at it.

John D.

DKWRACER

The PLEASURE far out-gains the pain, remember where you are, right here with us, Thanks , John...........
Thomas Brosius

Rocket

John
A shaft protector would be great.  I used a 3/8" pipe cap to get by with.  Hope you are starting to feel better.
Rod

Kip Kern

Rod

I use a short 13mm 3/8 drive socket for the cap.

don howard

Hi Rod   I did your advice went to Auto-Zone picked up a Pitman arm puller for $20.00 trimed it a little on arms worked just great. Thanks again for info.    Don

Dennis Jones

Same for me. $14.99 at Autozone, what a wealth of information this site is. Thanks to all the contributions.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

john durrill

dont forget the protective caps on the countershafts when you use the puller. you will crack the counter shaft if you dont use one. they are getting hard to find now .
John