Lights and Wiring for enduro?

Started by Big Mac, December 24, 2003, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Ok, Christmas eve, off work and all done shopping, wife and kids off shopping--time to think about Penton projects... Anybody know what the white wire off the ignition is for in the wiring scheme for '73-'77 KTM motors? My '74 book shows schematic with blue, black, green & yellow that make sense, but shows white just going to a dead end on the "junction" block.

Shows nothing abut wiring a horn in that manual--possibly the use for the white wire? Any other manuals provide better info, like wattage from this mystery white wire? Would be good to know what it's putting out if it's to be the juice for a horn, so as not to overtax the system & start burning things up.

Thanks - and may the elves leave you many spare parts in your stocking!  Jon 'Mac' McLean
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

john durrill

Jon, my sons 75 book show's this list for the wires coming from the Motoplat
blue/ black coil) Ignition
yellow - headlight 6v/35W
green - stoplight 6v/18W
white - 6v/4w
 I uploaded a 77 GS enduro diagram with horn and batt.
 if that will help try the below link to my briefcase on yahoo.
 http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/woolf_62000
 look in the one marked wireing diag's
John D.

Big Mac

Thanks John. Will keep that schematic in case I ever really need to dig in deep. Hoping not to ever have to go to a rectifier and battery, just enough gizmos to pass the DMV to license for dual sport. Any ideas on what kind of horns came on Penton-KTMs or where they were mounted?

On wiring per my book, it lists Green as 18w/6v "stoplight" and White as 4w/6v "tailight", but schematic shows white off the coil is dead ended, and a white that comes off the stock switch leads back to juice the tailight. Green goes straight through brake switch to stoplight. I'm wired up that way, with the white hanging loose, and seems to work bright for stop and dim for taillight. No idea where the juice comes from for taillight off the switch --steals some from headlight's yellow?  The switch I got was already wired up and pretty hard to see which poles cross with which. It had wires coming out of the switch just like the book showed, so just followed their lead.

I'd shoot you a copy of schematic from the '74 manual if I could figure out the jpeg and briefcase wizardry. Thanks for the feedback.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR