Penton

Started by blackbeardbikes, December 21, 2003, 10:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbeardbikes

I have purchased a late 60's/early 70's Penton with Saccs motor and frontend, I don't know what it is.  It has two shock absorbers and a wishbone strut.  I saw Roger Decostor race this frontend on a Suzuki in the late 60's.  What is the frontend and can I get parts for it?

James

That is cool. It is a leading link or Earls springer front end. I had not heard of one on a Penton. They were on many Greeves Challenger era bikes (before the Griffon) and on DKW's (which I think wre sachs powered). Shocks should not be a problem-as aftermarket units acn be made to specs. Other parts (bushings or bearing if that is the case may be more difficult). Most of these thing though can be fabricated.
James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

blackbeardbikes

James, Thanks for the response.  I sent you an email but I'm not sure it made it to your so am going to try again.  The guy I purchased the bike from was fairly knowledgeable on bikes, he said the Penton had the airbox through the frame, there are no frame numbers and not motor numbers that I can see.  Can you give me some help on locating where the numbers are on the bike and if it's not a Penton what is it?  I will try and send a digital photo soon.  As far as fabricating any parts/frames I can do it myself since I am a welder by trade.  If you want to call me my number is home:(916)655-1662 cell: (916)390-6888.  Or I would be happy to call you.  
Thanks for your help.
Blackbeard

rob w

BBB, I'm going to guess that it's against the odds that someone would have put a leading link front end on a Penton. Let's see if we can find some more clues that would lead us to believe you actually have a Sachs or DKW motorcycle there.
Is the gas tank chrome or have any chrome on it?
Is the word Sachs cast into the backing plate of the brakes?
Does the seat say KTM on the rear?

The frame numbers are stamped on the front of the head tube. Which would be right behind the front number plate if it had one.

Bob

James

Blackbeard, sorry I did get your e-mail. I will call you tomorrow, since I am in Arizona and I don't know your area code- consequently timezone. Most likley you would have a DKW. I am just guessing since that is the only one I reember with the link front. I look forward to seeing the digital pic. Look on this website for serial #s and locations for 1968-1974 Pentons. Thanks, James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

blackbeardbikes

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

BBB, I'm going to guess that it's against the odds that someone would have put a leading link front end on a Penton. Let's see if we can find some more clues that would lead us to believe you actually have a Sachs or DKW motorcycle there.
Is the gas tank chrome or have any chrome on it?
Is the word Sachs cast into the backing plate of the brakes?
Does the seat say KTM on the rear?

The frame numbers are stamped on the front of the head tube. Which would be right behind the front number plate if it had one.

Bob