frozen clutch??

Started by wheel, December 30, 2003, 07:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheel

any hints on this problem,bike had been stored, got running,
must get rolling to put in gear,put in gear from dead start only stalls out.any tricks or is this a teardown??

Big Mac

Hey wheel - you got it started, that's 90% of the battle. Stuck clutch on old sitting long bike (KTM motor?) is a common problem. For a test run w/o clutch, you can get it running in neutral, push it to a quick jog, then at low rev pop it into first. After you get it underway, I've had luck then by holding the clutch in and braking to a stop. Might break it free enough then to loosen a bit. If that doesn't work and you want to fix it right (assuming KTM motor) then pull off the left side shifter and kicker, lean it over on it's right side so not so much oil spills, pull the bolts out of left side case and pull the cover off. Then pull the clutch lever in and tie it there with a zip-tie or some such, to hold the pressure plate out. Then take a screw driver and behind the clutch pressure plate, just jiggle each friction plate and each drive plate apart--the stack of about 5 & 5 are just sticky and gummed together. Squirt a bit of oil between each. With the clutch lever in, when all freed up, you should be able to turn the clutch pressure plate by hand free of the engine.

I did this same fix on a stuck clutch on a basket case KTM motor a few months ago and it worked like a charm. Took about 20 minutes and didn't cost a dime. Good luck.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Doug Wilford

If your engine is a Sachs you best plan to take the clutch out and take it apart, the multidiscs in the Sachs clutch rust together and you could drop off a cliff and never get the clutch to free up.  There are times when you have to use a chisel and hammer to seperate the discs.    Have a fun New Year.

DKWRACER

Drop it off a cliff, it actually happened to me in my youth, on my 100 DKW alone by myself (bad idea), fell of a ledge, tumbled like a lemming, broke more than a few things, picked it up and rode out... never been happier!!!!! Happy New Years, I hope to make to Zink Ranch
Thomas Brosius