WM2 - 18 vs WM3 - 18

Started by swamp fox, January 07, 2004, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamp fox

Would a WM3-18 be too wide for a 72 Berkshire? I am cheating a little, it really has a 125 cyl on it.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Kip Kern

It will work and so will a 4:00x18 but kiss the chainguard good-by!

Doug Wilford

Robert,  You can run the WM 3 with the 400:18 tire on your CMF Penton but with some model tires you may have to trim some of the knobs to make clearance for the chain guard.   Just trim the right side or chain guard side.

swamp fox

Thanks Kip & Doug,
I have a nos Metzler 3.50-18 six day tire and got a line on a set of Akronts, WM-3 & WM-1. The bike doesn't have a chain guard on it, so before I go buy one I'll check for fit. Just thought I'd work up a spare set of alloys to go with the original chrome rims.:D Thanks guys, it's always nice to pick your brains.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

Kip Kern

Kip Kern

Robert  I bought a few sets of the nice DID's that were being sold from the Cannondale liquidation  (Offered were WM-3, WM-1 and you couldn't go wrong on the price).  At the ISDTRR, I ran a 4:00x18 rear tire and trimmed the right side knobs but still cut a new chainguard in two! I'll bet you would be safer with the 3:50x18 on the WM-3.  Any Hoo, good luck!

firstturn

Kip,
What spokes did you use?  The standard Penton stainless?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Ron  Yes, I used the original spokes and nipples.  The holes in the new rims were a "tad" larger than the old Radaelli's but all worked fine.

Kip Kern

It will work and so will a 4:00x18 but kiss the chainguard good-by!

Doug Wilford

Robert,  You can run the WM 3 with the 400:18 tire on your CMF Penton but with some model tires you may have to trim some of the knobs to make clearance for the chain guard.   Just trim the right side or chain guard side.

swamp fox

Thanks Kip & Doug,
I have a nos Metzler 3.50-18 six day tire and got a line on a set of Akronts, WM-3 & WM-1. The bike doesn't have a chain guard on it, so before I go buy one I'll check for fit. Just thought I'd work up a spare set of alloys to go with the original chrome rims.:D Thanks guys, it's always nice to pick your brains.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

Kip Kern

Kip Kern

Robert  I bought a few sets of the nice DID's that were being sold from the Cannondale liquidation  (Offered were WM-3, WM-1 and you couldn't go wrong on the price).  At the ISDTRR, I ran a 4:00x18 rear tire and trimmed the right side knobs but still cut a new chainguard in two! I'll bet you would be safer with the 3:50x18 on the WM-3.  Any Hoo, good luck!

firstturn

Kip,
What spokes did you use?  The standard Penton stainless?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Ron  Yes, I used the original spokes and nipples.  The holes in the new rims were a "tad" larger than the old Radaelli's but all worked fine.