John Penton Question

Started by Norman Foley, January 13, 2004, 08:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman Foley

What displacement and model Husky did John Penton win his AMA National Enduro Championship on?
                             Thanks,    
                                   Norman

LynnCamp

I searched for almost an hour (and learned a lot) but came up empty on an answer to your question.  Hang tight...... there are so many knowledgable people dropping in on this forum that I am sure you will get your answer from one of the experts soon.

firstturn

Jake Fischer should know or if no one comes up with it I will dig in my library.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kevin Grimes

Guys, I've seen a lot of pictures of John Penton riding Huskys in differnt enduros, srambles, etc. I even have a picture of John riding a Husky with a Honda tank on it. It seems as though the mount of choice was a 360. The enduro line up was; 250 Commando in 1968,
 and the 360 Sportsman in 1969, 1970, & 1971. There were some left over 71 Sportsman 360's sold as 1972 models. All these bikes were four speeds, some with the 8-speed kits installed. The 1973 year model brought in the 250/360 RT's (different engine and frame design.)
The Huskys being ridden in the 1966 and 1967 ISDT pictures we've all seen are "one off" factory specials. Hope this will answer some questions.

firstturn

Kevin, Did you get your Penton gift in the mail?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kevin Grimes

Ron,
  As they say in Memphis, I'm cornfused? Help a brother out.
                      Kevin

Norman Foley

Thanks for the input.  I wanted to ask him when I was up at the ISDTRR, but didn't get the chance.  Hopefully someone will come foward with the whole story.  Husky heads often wonder how it would have played out if Husky had built the 125 that John Penton wanted. It's also ironic that KTM no longer imports a 125 EXC and the WR 125 is a very popular Husky in the northeast.
                               Norman

Paul Danik

Norman,
   Mr. Penton has often stated that had Husky built a 125 when he wanted one the Penton never would have came into being.

A little side note about Mr. Penton having his name on his motorcycles.   Leroy Winter's daughter, Robin, told me at the ISDTRR that she once as a little girl asked her dad why he didn't put his name on his motorcycle like Mr. Penton did!!!
Paul