Rechrome fork legs

Started by Kip Kern, January 16, 2004, 06:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Anyone out there have any luck in this area?  Make recommendations? Thanks!

firstturn

Kip,
Over the years of using different methods I think polishing gives the best results.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Kip
I would not think the chroming of fork legs would be a problem, HD riders have been doing it for years.  Next time I go to the chrome shop, I'll ask.
Did you receive a package from me this week?
Rod

firstturn

Rocket is right, it is that I only chromed my street bike fork legs and polished out my Pentons.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gavin Housh

Kip, I had the tubes on my Maico redone. They grind the tubes fist, then they hard chrome oversized a bit. Then finish grind down to original size. This operation was too costly and is not being offered any more.

rd400pi

Are replacement tubes available from "Forks by Frank" or whatever they are called. Any other suppliers?  What is the cost of this option?  Has anybody gone that route?  Man, I am nothing but questions.  :D

Mike Husted
72&74 SixDays
76 MC5 250

firstturn

Back to the subject,

We are now mixing chroming fork legs as opposed to fork tubes.

Gavin,
I have had to do the same, but now I only do it for hard to find front ends.

Mike,
On the subject of tubes:
1)  What Brand?
2)  What size?
I have purchased NOS tubes and legs on eBay.  Also check with our suppliers.  I just purchased front end parts from Al this week and he had certain tubes in stock.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Thanks fellow Poggers!  Rod, I will have your stuff taken care of this Monday.  From a good source, I heard that Bultaco West was a good place for the rechrome and resize.  I will compare this to new legs and see the outcome in $$$.  Ceriani stuff is easy to get but Maico is another story, no wonder they have almost become extinct![:p]

rd400pi

Hey guys, sorry about the mix up.  I didn't think anybody had chrome fork legs and it was only the tubes.  Did any of these bikes actually come with legs that were chromed or were they just nicely polished?  In my futile effort to get educated on all things Penton, I end up with two or more new questions for every one you guys answer.  Oh well.  [:I]

Mike Husted
72&74 SixDays
76 MC5 250

firstturn

Mike,
You are always asking good questions that other people want to ask but don't.
The only Penton fork legs that I have seen on a Penton were done by the owner (only one).
Maybe Doug Wilford has seen sets from the factory for show bikes or special one offs.
I have seen them on Harleys and Goldwings for years as Rocket had mentioned.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh