Lost chamfered thrust washer

Started by Auto5guy, January 26, 2004, 01:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auto5guy

I have the cases split on my 73 250 engine.  Somewhere between my work bench, a solvent tank at another residence, and a fab shop to weld a crack I lost the chamfered thrust washer that goes over the crank shaft and under the outside crank shaft bearing on the clutch side.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?  Or does anyone have some dimensions so I can fab a new one?

The manual refers to it as a chamfered thrust washer but it shouldn't get any side load against it from the crank.  The crank endplay is dictated by the shimming of the main bearings

What is its purpose?  The nearest I can tell is that is to space the outer bearing and the pinion gear outside that. .  If it just acts as a spacer I could easily make a new one if given the thickness. It just seems odd to me that the 175 does not have one.  How much destruction could I expect if I were to omit the washer?

Thanks

Matthew
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Kip Kern

Matthew  Try Al Buehner and if he doesn't have one I am sure I can dig one up out of a old engine for you.

Kip Kern

Sorry, I forgot to read on.  The purpose is to act as a seat between the 6204 crank bearing and the crank shoulder.  Remember, beveled side in!  As per KTM, You are allowed .005-.010 end play in the crank.  Once this beveled washer is in place and the 6204 bearing is properly seated against the crank, you will notice no end play!  Using the 6204 bearing pushing tool, you seat the bearing roughly flush with the case, once the shim, pinion gear with key and nut are installed and torqued to 50ft lb, the 6204 bearing is at its proper seat in the cases (as the bearing will move in further) and that beveled washer prevents it from binding the crank!  I had better get some coffee;)

Auto5guy

Kip

Please check your email.

Thanks
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Kip Kern

Matthew  The washer is in the mail!  Beveled side towards the crank!

Auto5guy

I want to give a very public THANK YOU to Kip. What a guy.

The generosity and helpfulness of the people on this site is just amazing.

Matthew