Penton 250 Hare Scrambler?

Started by rapidron, April 16, 2001, 01:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rapidron

Penton 250 Hare Scrambler.
Frame: 550 02912
Engine: 6-54 11297.
The bike was modified for MX with Fox Shox, Lectron Carb, Sun Metal Rims, SuperTrap Exhaust, Preston Petty fenders and ignition cover etc. I am perhaps the third owner of this bike and parked it 20 years ago in a friends pole barn, after finishing last (not the bikes fault) in an Enduro in Port Huron Michigan. The friend is a mechanic and has cranked it over periodically for the time it has been in his possession.

I got the bug recently to ride dirt again and went and picked it up and brought it home. I knew it was going to require work and was surprised it still had good compression, I guess cranking it over all these years made a difference. I took these pictures showing the bike and spares before beginning the clean up.

Now if someone wants this before I begin, let it be known. Once I start it may be too late and expensive for you to purchase.

See it here http://www.getawarrant.com/penton/index.html

gooey

Looks really interesting,,  but I would face the same problem with it that I face with my current project .... that stinkin' post vintage class ....

I would like a project Hare scrambler, though if it mt some criteria .. Im am just now getting one project running,, and embarking on a second for wifey to ride ... my son will need one too ! ..... then,, theres the daughter .... WAIT !  TWO daughters,,, my AWESOME grandson .... they'll ALL need bikes !   LOL ...

Seriously,,, its really not my cup of tea,, but tempt me .... what are you asking ???

Is there such a thing as a restorable, affordable,, motor turns, pre 74 Hare Scrambler out there ??? dunno if I can buy one now,, but would maybe listen !

rapidron

Quotequote:

what are you asking ???

Just testing the waters, make an offer.

gooey

ok,, but I try to only make an offer if Im ready to buy,, and it really isnt my cup of tea .. I have a post vintage bike about ready to go and bought a jap mx bike-in-a-box yesterday under the guise of "gonna build it for wifey" which is pobably closer to true than I care to admit ... right now, if I bought another bike,, it would probably help if it was a 3 bedroom, bath and a half model ... cuz Id surely wind up livin in it ....  was just curious,,, looks like a neat project,,, just not what I need right now.

Edited by - gooey on 04/16/2001  11:52:52 PM

Edited by - gooey on 04/16/2001  11:53:28 PM

Bob Gilman

Gooey, I can't believe you bought any other kind of bike besides a Penton! Shame on You!

gooey

well,, it's true .. I did ... TWO of em ...

Let me explain myself,, though ... The 1st was a Breako ( whoops... I mean Maico) ... I bought it while I had my Penton ... and hoped to race the Penton and fix the Maico ... well,, the Penton project didnt go as planned .... and the Breako took center stage .. ( it really IS a WAY cool bike, by the way ... ) ... and, I decided that wifey wanted to learn to ride,, and as much time as  will most likely spoend fixing the Break-o ,, I would need something known for its superior reliability ... If old Yamaha's dont have reliability,, what do they have ??? not much else there  

I also think I need to search for what i really want,, the right 73-74 Hare Scrambler ... when I find it and get it running and looking well,, I can probably say good-bye to the Maico ... someone will be REALLY happy when that day arrives I'm sure !

but,, thats how it went ... now,, whip me, beat me .... i deserve it !

rapidron

This bike was the only bike I ever owned that I could not out ride.  Maybe it was my getting older but it sure was a thrill to ride that bike.  Now I'm getting sentimental.

I have set an asking price of $1800

Edited by - rapidron on 04/21/2001  10:58:27 AM