lets get started

Started by chris p., February 09, 2004, 08:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris p.

i am looking for some help with my 76 125,ktm motor with a bing carb.  once i get the thing started it runs like the champ that it is, how ever there inlies my problem.  starting this bike cold is getting to be quite a prosess, start by kicking and kicking and ect... so after a few deep breaths off the oxygen, pull out the spark plug, its soaked, replace,repeat,same outcome. so the third time i remove the soaked plug, pour about two cap fulls of gas directly into cylinder,put soaked plug back in and presto off she goes.it will spew nasty stuff out the exaust port for a while also. after the bike is warm it will start on the first kick everytime,hmmm. the carb is spotless inside and out,the float levels are correct, and the motor has a fresh top end.   HELP

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by chris p.

i am looking for some help with my 76 125,ktm motor with a bing carb.  once i get the thing started it runs like the champ that it is, how ever there inlies my problem.  starting this bike cold is getting to be quite a prosess, start by kicking and kicking and ect... so after a few deep breaths off the oxygen, pull out the spark plug, its soaked, replace,repeat,same outcome. so the third time i remove the soaked plug, pour about two cap fulls of gas directly into cylinder,put soaked plug back in and presto off she goes.it will spew nasty stuff out the exaust port for a while also. after the bike is warm it will start on the first kick everytime,hmmm. the carb is spotless inside and out,the float levels are correct, and the motor has a fresh top end.   HELP

You have one of the early KTM motorcycles.It was that model where the KTM name came from""KICK THIRTY MINUTES""
Speedy-->>always informative,..->>>>>>

Helmut Clasen
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com

Steve Minor

Please don't get offended, but are you using the "tickler" to prime the carb? My 77 400 GS6 has a Bing 38 on it and I "tickle" the carb until gas runs out of the overflow tubes.....Move the choke lever on the handlebars to the "on" position and it's usually a 2 kick start from there. Once it's started I move the choke lever to the normal position.

If you are already doing this, please excuse me and ignore my question.
Steve Minor