Fox Airshox

Started by Cathump, February 11, 2004, 06:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathump

If any of ya'll have information on Fox Airshox, could you tell me what I should have them charged to for a 215 pound rider (novice) on a '78 MC5 250?

Rick Terry
Rick Terry

TGTech

Rick,

According to my Fox AirShox manual, there are some questions that you have to answer before you can determine the air pressures you need to run.
1. What does the bike weigh? Your weight and the bike's weight are combined to come up with this figure. There are three categories shown in the book: bike weight 170-190, 190-210 and 210-230.
2. What do you weigh? There are categories from 120 through 220.
3. What is the SLR (Suspension Lever Ratio) of your bike. This is the figure that is calculated by dividing length of the swing arm from it's pivot to the center of the axle by the distance from the swing arm pivot to the center line of the shock absorber. Example: My 76 ISDT bike (a 175 MC-5) had an SLR of 2.15. The swing arm was 19.125" and the distance from the swing arm pivot to the centerline of the shock was 8.875".

With these figures, the bike used about a hundred pounds in the lower pressure end and 150 pounds in the high pressure end.

You do know that you have to use nitrogen in these and you can't use just air? And you have to use special tools to pressurize and adjust the pressures. Otherwise, you can't keep the pressures accurate.

If I can be of any further help, let me know.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.
1115 Milan Ave.
Amherst, OH   44001

Cathump

Thanks Dane.

I do know to use nitrogen, although I do not have the equipment needed, my local Kawie dealer does.

I used to know which end was the hp and which was the lp, but had a bad street bike crash last year and lost some memories. I have to write everything down now.

Rick Terry
Rick Terry

firstturn

Rick,
  One more thing to add to Dane's answer.  Be sure if the shocks are low on pressure to put a little nitrogen in the small end first to keep the bladder in place.  Just a word to the wise, not I didn't do it, and had to disassemble and reassemble again.  Hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Cathump

Ron,

My shocks are already charged, but set up for when I was 65 pounds heavier. There is absolutely NO sag when I climb on, and as short as I am, I need lots of sag. ;)

Rick Terry
Rick Terry