handlebars

Started by jerry, February 08, 2004, 08:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

my '73 125 isdt came with handlebars that had no cross member, is that correct? They are pretty rusted, where can I get a replacement? Thanks jerry

Jerry
Jerry

firstturn

Jerry,
  Mine came with a cross bar.  The best replica at the best price I have seen is by a company named Fly.  Dealers in the Houston area handle them.  You can catch ones on eBay sometimes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

High rise, right? Apx. 6" rise or better, and no crossbar. Those are  original to the bike, they were used mostly on '73's. I can't help with a source for replacements, but around the same time they appeared on Pentons, "Inter-Am" replicated those bars only from solid aluminum. I have some of those. In my book, it would be period correct to install bars that have a crossbar because both were used around the same time.

rob w

Jerry, Just curious, what's the frame number on that one? Thanks, Roberto

I have a Sixday, frame # 310xxxxx, I'm calling it a '74 but I'm not sure. It has magnesium hubs laced to steel rims, I think that's an odd combo. Definetly a '74 tank, the 3.0 enduro model (what should we call those, I've heard watermelon before, but it does'nt remind me of a watermelon), and what I call the GP seat, I think it's a '74. Anyone eh??

firstturn

Rob,
  I heard the term "watermelon" refered to early when the only tank I had seen was the green one.  Just my take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

BrianTaylor

Rob   Its strange we we talking about this today at my brothers  his 125 frame 0405 had toaster tank..... mine I got a month latter frame 0404 and with GS tank ( watermelon )... only 165 serial numbers off the frame  both magnes. hubs and steel Radelli rims....I had a sticker on engine I think that said "KTM Tuned " his didnt they must have stamped a bunch of frames up then assembled them with changed components

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

rob w

Thanks Ron, Watermelon it will be.
Brian, Yep, I think this is part of what makes it interesting, it certainly keeps you questioning if you've got your decoder set right.
This brings up another question, around what frame #'s did the "D" motors come onto the scene.

firstturn

Rob and Brian,
  Why don't you let follow through on a similiar question I was going to post this week on some of these questions if that is ok with you gentleman(racers, fast guys or anything on the decoders secret channel).
Thanks

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

Hi Point had the tall bars without cross members.
Stock was a very straight bend Magura Bar. I have been trying to get some made but haven't gotten a straight enough set yet to copy. I may have to remove a set from my Zundapp or Penton 125 and send it to the maker. BUT I have to buy about 25 bars minimum. I have found some nice bars that are similar to the 1974 bars which have more pull back. They are similar to the Hodaka 125 bend and height. They are perfect for the 1974-77 bikes. I believe they are identical to the 1976 Hercules bars. They run about $65 each.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

metalkfab

I purchased a 100cc Berkshire in 1974 and it had mag.hubs laced to steel rims,short/tall seat and the bars were a "CZ" style bend with crossbar.Hope this helps.

tanz

Dwight, Where might one find those Herc. style bars? After recieving my new shocks in the mail the other day I decided I had to go for a ride and promptly laid it down on an ice patch bending my bars.
Thanks
Steve
10 Beta 520 RR
77 GS6 400
73 Hare Scrambler 250
72 Six Days 125-Sold
71 Cat 350X

Lew Mayer

Speed and Sport supposedly have a Penton bar. Has anybody seen or tried them? I was thinking of getting a set.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dwight Rudder

Go to Ebay and look for Hodaka Wombat handlebars. Identical. They are about $65 new. Reproductions. Or go to Strictly Hodaka's website.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

Go to Ebay and look for Hodaka Wombat handlebars. Identical. They are about $65 new. Reproductions. Or go to Strictly Hodaka's website.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Heiiiiii,...DWIGHTY,....looking for your 175 ?????????[}:)]:D[:o)][?]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

Dwight Rudder

Champion.

[/quote]

Heiiiiii,...DWIGHTY,....looking for your 175 ?????????[}:)]:D[:o)][?]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02
[/quote]

I heard a rumour of someone seeing a Hercules GS175/6a on the streets of Lorain Ohio heading for the KTM offices. Now this is just rumour and I didn't think anything of it. Cause I know you have my bike and it is being well taken care of. Right ????   RIGHT ????? SPEEDY ?????
Worried,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist