KTM Engine splitter/crank pusher

Started by Kip Kern, March 12, 2004, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

OK guys, the tool is #2466709992 on Ebay.  This is the one you want to push the cranks and seperate the cases on those KTM engines!

G Ellis

If I am lucky enough to get the case splitters, I am going to get some made up if anybody want's one. If I don't get it and someone from POG gets it I would like to get a pattern from it.

vmx1963

I saw all those Penton tools on eBay and got all excited until I remembered I needed them now!!

Behold, the patented Aussie answer to crank & assorted bearing removal.  

Once the crank is out (thank you Mr Rubber Mallet), my recipe for removing all the case bearings is:

• Wait until the wife's gone shopping
  • Bake each case in the oven @ 150 for 5 minutes
  • Take 2 cuts of 4x2 timber, some old pipe the right diameter for the bearings, and jury-rig the bearing pusher
  • Push all bearings out being careful not to overdo the pressure (use a shorter lever if you tend to get enthusiastic)
  • Finally, air out the house so said wife doesn't suspect her oven has been defiled
All rather successful, Patent Pending.

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

kelleymutt

Well, I sure got a big chuckle out of your oven receipt--I even had my wife of many years come and read it and she said "ya! that could have been written by you!!":)  She still reminds me of when she came home from shopping (they all do that shoping thing)  and I had my well-used Hi-Point boots in the oven with a heavy fresh coat of "Bear grease" slowly soaking in to that rich smelling swamp-water leather. That might have been 25 years ago and she still likes to tell the story.

Some of you other POG'ers may have simular stories. It would be fun to hear them.  Joe Stearns  [:p][:p]

Rain Man

G Ellis, glad you said something, I'd would also like to have a set of these, so when you win it, I want to be on the list for the repops, or the prints,... whats your e bay handle??
   Hows that old proverb go, give them fish, they eat today, show them how to fish, they eat for a life time...
 Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

jackpinejim

Hey Kip and everybody else, "view sellers other items", more tools!
       Jim

G Ellis

Rain Man it is Quinsippi5. I haven,t placed a bid as of yet.

Mike Lenz

Kip, are you sure about this tool? This tool is not amoung the engine tools shown and listed in the engine repair manuels?

Kip Kern

It bolts to the left case via 3 6mm screws, a large bolt is turned down to push the crankshaft assembly out of the pinion bearing.  If all 12 of your case screws are out on the right case, it will split the cases for you also.  Once the cases split, you can continue to crank on the bolt until the crankshaft assembly is out.  I use mine every week to make the job simple![:p]

Mike Lenz

The high bidder was not a pog member so I bid on it but its going at over my tastes!