Northwest report

Started by tomale, February 13, 2004, 02:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark nitchman

Thanks for the helpful info Thom, like you I want to avoid trashing a good pipe, your orv experience is very reassuring.

By the way my parents live in Ohio (I grew up on the same street as Dane), whenever I visit I go out to Buhners so if there is anything you would like me to look for please feel free to let me know.  Next trip is April.

Good luck with that shop.

tomale

Thanks mark, Wow who would have thought that there would be so much response to this post.
I try to use Al as much as possible. I chech with Him before I check anywhere else. At this point I can not think of a thing. I have been thinking I would like a plastic tank for by bike so that I do not have to use the stock tank. but that is sort of open. I am not sure if I want to continue to race my bike. NOt that I am giving up racing but I worry about tearing it up. I won't sell it. I am thinking I would like to race the open class. but that would mean I would have to get a 400 and finding a MC5400 is really hard. Got any ideas? Got a 400 motor you might like to pass along? If you want to answer in private that is ok just look up my email address under profile. Above the message box there is a little icon that looks like the head of a person, click on that and my info should come up. (not the little cartoon figures to the left)
How close are you to having your bike ready to ride? let me know maybe we can go for a ride.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

mark nitchman

Well, I have an aftermarket plastic tank, new and unused plus several used originals sitting around. I'd be glad to help you out when you are ready.

I have a spare 400 motor, it is not in running condition and I have not even had it open since acquiring it last year. It could need some lower end work but it is all there.  I have a spare head or two also.  There are other odds and ends Thom, forks, couple of frames, wheels, seat, probably the same stuff we all have in the garage.   By the way I have been slowly acquiring parts to build my son a 175 this year and have a couple of silver motors too.

This has been an interesting bike for me, kicking it is about the worst part of the whole experience as I have had numerous knee surgeries over the years and I am having a harder and harder time making it look easy.  Right now it needs a carb overhaul and so I was planning on sending it back to Bing in a few days.  When I get it back I will want to get it out in the woods to clean out the cobwebs and see what else pops up. I've been thinking about some suspension work also, not sure what quite yet.  

After that we might be in business. I'd enjoy getting together once I can be sure she'll hold up for the day.  Actually my son and his CR are both dying to kick my butt and if there are witnesses around he will be that much more difficult to live with.

If you are real serious about buying an MC5 400 we can talk about that some time too.  I have been thinking about building the 175 and buying a modern KTM to keep up with the wippersnapper on.  Feel free to keep in touch via my member information as you mentioned.  

Any other poggers in the NW; same goes for you also.  I would be glad to help with parts if I have them or pick up something for you in Cleveland this April.  Thanks and good luck to you all.  

rob w

Sounds like Tomale may have a new sponsor. :D Hello Mark, that's very nice of you to help out. While you're at it, could you get a big bus and ship Thom, Mac, Auto5 and yourself back here so we can all ride or race together.
 I met a great new Penton friend in Massachusetts last October, he is from the state of Washington, rode his Six Day to a Gold Medal at the "Reunion", and I was so pleased to meet him, his name is Steven Bronsveld.

tomale

Hmmm, Thanks rob, I do not know Steven but it sounds like someone I should like to meet. I have been reading with some interest the florida boys idea of starting some POG events. sounds like a good idea to me. It would be a cool idea to do an annual event for penton riders only,hear in the NW. How about a team Penton for some of the Worcs races that is coming up or some other event this summer.
I like the idea of a bunch of us heading back to do some racing. What a great idea. Anyone want to sponsor us so that we can come? I will have to give this some thought. One of my projects is to make a inclosed trailer for the bikes so that we can travel. I was thinking it should have a bed size of about 7X10-12, that way there would be room for not just the bikes but room to set up a little shop and maybe a little fold down stove. Throw in some cots and we are good to go. I know this is not a new idea but I think that I can do it for alot less than what I can buy even a used one for and I could make it the way I want. If I am carful I think that it can be done with out making it too heavy.
Rob, where were you thinking about us coming..? Georgia SC ohio? I have never been that far east. could be a great trip.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmte123

Hmmmm....POW, Penton Owners of Washington, sounds like a group with some impact.

Not a Penton owner, but I have ridden one..Tomale's MC-5.  Currently ride a '75 XL-250, '78 TT500
Currently ride a \\\'75 XL-250, Restoring (Re-Penton) a \\\'74 250 Hare/Scrambler