Air filter info needed for steel tanker-

Started by clayman, November 01, 2004, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Could someone please tell me what modern day air filter will fit the 1971 125 steel tanker airbox? A while back I had heard that a certain Yamaha No Toil filter worked well, but never saw anything in writing to back that up.

I know Al has filters, but I was just looking for something I could pick up locally.

Thanks,
Clay

rob w

Clay,

Doubt if this will help that much, but the old K&N part number is PE-10.

Bob

Kip Kern

john durrill

Clay,
 there is a file in the library that has the measurements for all the Penton filters up to 76....?
 its a good thing to have for later when the big suppiers stop making filers for us.
John D.

baxtermcc

I purchased one of the No Toil filters from Al for my '71 and it fits the air filter cage and box like a glove.  If you plan to ride your bike much I would go this route and make sure you don't get anything in the cylinder to do damage.

Good luck,
Bob McCullough

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
Just a quick reply to tell you about my experience with the K&N filter for a Steeltanker. The K&N's are nice filters but I was unable to use the one I bought for my Steeltanker because it did not fit properly. The part number I have is a PE-10 like mentioned in an earlier post by Rob W and is made for the round airboxes used on the later model Steeltankers. The problem I had is that the air filter element is too thick and will not allow the plastic air box cover to fully seal on the o-ring around the outside of the air box unit. It's real close but misses doing the job by about an 1/8". The only thing that I can think of that might make a difference is plastic cover. It's  my understanding that the Steeltankers could come with two different air boxes from the factory. One with a snorkel and rubber hose to make it breath from the frame under the tank or one without a snorkel that was used for the MX bikes. My bike is a frame breather and has the snorkel on the plastic cover. Could it be that the MX style plastic covers were slightly deeper and would allow this PE-10 to be used in that application only ?? Maybe someone that has one of each style cover can compare them and let me know if there is a slight difference. Anyway, bottom line is that I can't use the K&N filter in my bike so if anyone is interested in buying it let me know. I'll take $25 plus shipping which is what I gave for it.
Dave McCullough
[email protected]

Kip Kern

clayman

Thanks, everybody, for the air filter info. That makes it easier to buy one locally. If, for instance, I purchase the UNI, will that include the cage?

Clay

Kip Kern

DKWRACER

Kip, I went looking for a UNI at two shops in Denver area, no luck. What vendor can you suggest etc....Thanks, Tom.....
Thomas Brosius

Kip Kern

Call UNI direct, ask for Carolyn, tell her I sent you!  I just ordered 30 air filters from them.

DKWRACER

Yippe Do!!! Kip can Do!!!:)   Just got mine on order from Carolyn @ 714-5356933, seems they will ship because they/we are Vintage...NOW THATS A COMPLIMENT! Was a caution tho, not to use No Toil, supposedly breaks down their glue..Adios, Tom..........
Thomas Brosius