Penton vs. Sharpless – a 35 year family feud

Started by LynnCamp, February 08, 2004, 09:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnCamp

A special thanks to Canadian motorcycle historian Larry Bastedo who came a long distance to the POG Annnual Meeting to share some great stories about the Corduroy Enduro and the legacy that the Penton family left behind.  He told us how the Pentons won the event 9 times ... and how Blair Sharpless made it his life's mission to beat the Penton family's domination of the event by following up on his father Bill's 3 wins with Blair's 7 wins.  

Final score:  Penton 9 – Sharpless 10, but ... to this day... the event has been won more times on a Penton than any other bike – (even though John won 3 times on 175 NSU and  twice on a 250 BMW).

Another great story -- the infamous roof decorations.  --- Next time you see Doug Wilford -- you need to ask to see his pictures of the cabin at the Corduroy.

Larry had copies of the "First Fifty Years of the Corduroy" with lots of great pictures and articles.  You can get a copy from Larry at the:
Canadian Motorcycle Association
P.O. Box 448, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 1J4
Telephone (905) 522-5705
http://www.canmocycle.ca/

BrianTaylor

A lot of memories  of the Cord at Gold Rock Lodge ... I witnessd the roof top Decorations going up  with my two brothers Dad and Uncle there... the funniest part was the old rickety wooden ladder they found that someone  ( Ted ? )climbed... it was 10 feet higher than the  cabin roof  he was at the very top rung  and all you could here was it cracking  thankfuly it didnt brake ..it must have made a great picture but the actions were funnier   .... the first siteing of a 125 Penton In Canada ..... Leroy Winters screaming down Pencil Lake Road open expansion chamber  it was ear piercing  but it was wonderful..... John Penton yelling at Leroy to shut his screaming hillbilly music off......Les North walking around with his vintage World War II air raid siren to wake everyone up in the morning ... oh boy those were the days .. Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

LynnCamp

Brian, it sounds like you have the makings of a book, if not a great article. My understanding is that you are a  collector of motorcycle history??? Is your "Greater Vancouver Motor Sport Pioneers Society" still active?  Do you talk to Ed Youngblood?

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by LynnCamp

Brian, it sounds like you have the makings of a book, if not a great article. My understanding is that you are a  collector of motorcycle history??? Is your "Greater Vancouver Motor Sport Pioneers Society" still active?  Do you talk to Ed Youngblood?

Do you have an excellent excuse for not coming to the POG meeting???/he,he,he,...Speedy--->>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com

BrianTaylor

Helmut ...... regretably I dont have a good reason.... I was out on 401 hitchhiking  when u blew by me ...:D.... Lynn  I dont have enough for a book but I do have a full head of some real laughs .... I am trying to piece together the Alouette 125 history for a group trying to restore one .... ( any info , pics , sources would be appreciated ) .... Ed Youngblood I have never met the gentleman  and the Vancouver Club I am sory but have no contact with them ..... BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Brian,
  I am trying to put some history together on the Alouette myself.  I just purchased a Enduro model.  I will be happy once it is delivered to shoot some pictures.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh