Ebay - Penton Trials bike

Started by bkinnon, March 31, 2004, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkinnon

I am curious as to why there was so little interest in the Trials bike on ebay. I am the high bidder and thought it would go for much more than my high bid. I am not really well schooled on the Wassel Trials bike, but assumed this was one. Am I wrong and is $1400 too much? Kind of a question after the fact, as I am obligated to buy it, but wondered why there was no mention of it here and little bidding. Any input will be either appreciated or depressing.
Bill MacKinnon
Minot, Maine

'97 KTM Jackpiner 200LE
'00 KDX 200
'80 KDX 250
'74 Hare Scramble 250
'73 Jackpiner 175 (3)
'73 Jackpiner 175 original owner
'73 Six Day 125
I need..
any steel tank Berkshire
any fiberglass tank Berkshire
any steel tank Six Days
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

Dennis Jones

Congratulations on your new bike. It looks pretty complete with all the hard to find parts there. The frame paint, tank decals, and plastic fenders are the only things that stand out as nonstock. Oh and maybe the red grips;) Looks like an easy resto. I am puzzled too by the lack of interest.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

cardojr

rcrump1

Bill;
Congratulations on your new bike. I was the other bidder on that bike and I too wondered about the lack of interest. For what it's worth, I think you got a pretty complete bike that should be fairly easy to restore and will be very collectable.
Richard

firstturn

Bill & Richard,
  I think a lot of people just looked at the price and thought if they started that high that the end price would be out of reach.  One of my friends that would have bought it just won't buy from the North West after being stung by a freight bill that cost almost as much as the bike that he bought.  I agree with Dennis that you did well.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Congrats on the purchase of the "58" Edsel, they are great bike to add to the Penton collection[:o)]  Talk to Matt at Speed and Sport for some parts assistance, he is a great guy!

bkinnon

Richard, sorry about beating you out. I use Power Snipe and actually set my max price at over $2000, so I felt pretty good about it. As far as shipping, I have no price quoted as yet. I did buy a Penton 250 from Oregon and had it crated and shipped to Maine for $345. Came in a Yamaha factory crate that the seller got for nothing. Shipped via Red Star Freight.
I look forward to bringing this back to life, but I have been working on my Jackpiner for a year and a half now....
Thanks for the positive input, and Kip, I will save the name and number for parts.
Now I just need a couple of steel tankers and life will be complete.

'97 KTM Jackpiner 200LE
'00 KDX 200
'80 KDX 250
'74 Hare Scramble 250
'73 Jackpiner 175 (3)
'73 Jackpiner 175 original owner
'73 Six Day 125
I need..
any steel tank Berkshire
any fiberglass tank Berkshire
any steel tank Six Days
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

rcrump1

Bill;
No problem. I'm just glad another POGer got it. I know you will enjoy it.
Richard