Kickstarter Problems

Started by Lloyd Boland, April 11, 2004, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

I just had a local reputable shop rebuild my 1976 250 MC5.  New rod, all new bearing, new gaskets, etc.  The owner is a long time AHRMA mxer and dirt tracker.  I just put the motor into the frame this morning and when I pushed on the kickstarter in just clicks as if it is just barely missing the gear.  Sometimes it actually does ingage and turns the motor over but it misses more than it catches.  I haven't talked to them yet but I thought if anyone has any ideas, I wanted to research this before dropping the motor off at the shop on Tuesday.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Mike Lenz

Something is def not right in there and will prob have to be split open again to find out what. Bad spring or incorrectly installed unless your dogs are worn off.

Lloyd Boland

Thanks Mike. That's what I thought but I had never torn apart a KTM motor and the bearings had me a little spooked so I had a shop that has a lot of experience with new and vintage bikes do it.  I didn't know if there was anything easy or an adjustment somewhere but I thought it was internal and needs to be re-opened for repair surgery.

john durrill

Lloyd,
you can replace the gears or spring with out a complete dissasembly of the engine. you do have to split the cases , but the tranny and the crank can stay in place. the spring sounds like it was tensioned wrong.
 Read the directions in the engine overhaul manual on the kicker spring and set it up that way and you should be ok. If the ratchet teeth look worn on either the gear or the part that slides out try and find replacements.
Lots of folks dont understand the mechnical relationship between the parts and wind the spring too tight when preloading it.That will give you the problem you are seeing now.
 when you get the parts out , look at the spring carefully. if its distorted or kinked replace it.
 we had to do this to my sons piner two years ago. the kicker didnt work right and we were leaving on a trip to Ok for a 2 day ride in the mountains the next day. we started on pulling the engine out of the frame at 8:30 pm and had the bike together and running by 1 am.
 It was my fastes repair on a kickstarter ever chuckle chuckle
John D.

Lloyd Boland

You guys are great.  Thanks for the help and all suggestions.  I'm going to print these suggestions out and bring them to the shop with me on Tuesday.  The shop guys are good guys and I am sure any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.