Small Headlight Question

Started by Chakka, April 28, 2004, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Was the small headlight equipped on the 73' enduro model's manufactured by CEV? I found a great web site that indicates they have a large supply of CEV headlights used. Some look identical to the light worn by so many Pentons. If the light was a CEV does anyone know the part number or overall diameter?

Chris

Doug Wilford

In answer to question #1 yes the small CMF Penton head light was manufactured by CEV.    I don't know the CEV part mumber off hand.

firstturn

Chris send me a email this weekend and I will try to take a picture of a new headlight and get a number.  The reminder(e-mail) is for us old racers.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

BrianTaylor

Chris what is the website you found for the CEV,s ... thks Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Chakka

Thanks for the input guys. Ron I will email this weekend to remind you. Here is the web link that has some CEV lights and parts

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/lights.html

firstturn

Chris,  
  All of the original headlights I have are ZKW and have the same lense.  The headlights that you are looking at on that web site are for scooters.  But so many different headlights have been made that I always look at all of them closely.  If the information above about ZKW is wrong please someone corret me before I get dismissed from the site:).
  Moving on th the CEV information.  The tailights that came on Pentons and the over the counter kits were CEV.  I hope this helps.  I have pictures of the small headlight (NOS) it you need them sent directly to you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

This is what I remember.  The early headlights used 120mm lens and were made by CEV.  They were the color matched bullet ones.  I think these were on 1967 and 1968 maybe some 1969 Pentons.  Then there was the gray 120mm lens gray ones made by CEV.  I think they were on 1969 and some 1970 Pentons.  Then there was smaller gray ones with 105mm lens made by CEV and had a flat back.  These were on 1970 and 1971 Pentons.  Then there was the smaller bullet shaped ones with 105mm lens and switch was a knob on the shell. They were made by CEV.  These were on 1972 and many 1973 Pentons.  Then there were the larger 120mm lens gray ones made by ZKW with a flat back.  These were on some 1973 and most all of the 1974 and 1975 Pentons.  Somewhere in these they got a bolt on feature that acted as a numberplate mount on top.  Also in that time period alot of Pentons that were equipped with the enduro kit from Hipoint had the white Petty headlight which is why some guys will say I got my Penton new with Petty fenders and headlight.  1976 and 1977 Pentons came with the color matched plastic Falk shells with numberplate built in that carried I believe the 105mm CEV lens.  

This is all from memory and I am not solid on the years but pretty solid on the order of use.  The year lap overs are yet another example that there are no cut and dried rules for restore because what was used at KTM and Penton was dependant on what was available at the moment.

Kip Kern

Check out the back of your Penton parts books, it shows the various headlamp kits. A lot of the lamps were ZKW there were also CEV and Hella too.  The ZKW were also the guys that made the ZKW Magnesium cases for the KTM engines, I think[?].  Hella made BMW electrical controls that attached to the Magura perches on the bars.  Cev made a lot of Ducati stuff, that is where you can find the taillight and bracket for the steel tankers.  Domi Racer has a great selection of lighting accessories for the early European machines.;)

firstturn

Larry & Kip,
  Thanks for the salvation.  I did infact look at the parts books and then looked at the headlights that I had readly available on bikes.  Some of the headlights I have put back aren't where I could get to them such as the CEV early style(big).  The smaller ZKW ones that have ZKW lens had no numbers on the case.  Now that everyone is confused let's just say if it is in the the parts books and/or accessory books then you know it can be used as original in a restoration.
  If you have any pictures of headlights that you want identified drop me a picture and I will help or get some help from the real experts.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Larry,
  Just more fuel for the fire. I found a NOS (new old stock) small headlight (bullet style) with the pull knob.  No marking on who made it, but it also has a ZKW lense[:p].  Lets have more input for more fun.
  Larry your input on the different headlights a long with Kip's bring up Hella reminds me that the more pictures from articles and brochures that we maintain just shows all the different set-ups that were used.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh