Point ignition

Started by Lew Mayer, May 11, 2004, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew Mayer

Anybody out there have a point ignition complete for a Wassell? I'm looking to replace the Motoplat on a trialer.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Lew,
What are your plans for the Motoplat? If you're going to sell it, I would be interested if it's in good condition.
Thanks

Lew Mayer

Sorry,Randy,I have plans for the motoplat.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Lew ,
 the Hammers in Germany are who supplied my Point Ignition. all NOS for the military Sachs. very good parts. Right now i can not get there web page to work but if you will post this on the Vinduro board Leo or one of the other Sachs guys in Germany may be able to point you in the right direction for one.
John & Peter D.

Lew Mayer

Thanks John, I have been in contact with them. I just thought I'd see if I could find one locally(?).

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Lew ,
 I'm not big on going overseas for any parts , unless we can't get them in the US. The only place we could get new flywheels was the Hammers. Point cams that are rough or pitted anywhere the points contact it, wear so rapidly that its a pain in the neck chuckle chuckle!
 If you get a good flywheel i will post a pic of one mod you should do. In our old shop we always welded the flywheels.
 Its not hard for a certified welder to do and does not cost much. It extends the life of the flywheel and makes it a lot safer on even the Iron Barrel Sachs.
 Let me know how it goes with the search.
John & Peter D.

firstturn

John,
Question: When you have welded the flywheels in the past have you experienced any loss in magnetism?
Thanks

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

metalkfab

Ron,with your "animal magnetism" this shouldn't be a problem!

firstturn

Karl,
[:p]You are on the other I owe list ( Not the good one that Randy is on)[}:)].  I guess I am owed that after the international 1968 Penton Pipe incident.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

metalkfab

"I Owe,I Owe".It sounds like some type of mating call and now your making me real nervous Ron.

Rocket

Karl
You know what they say about the Texas, the (sorry Ron) land of steers and ???.
I apologize Ron, I just couldn't pass this up. ;)
Rod

firstturn

Karl,
  Rocket must want a favor[:o)]!  How does it feel to have someone finally on your side?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 No noticable loss in magnetizm. You dont get the flywheel that hot if its done right and the flow of current is limited to very short shots. We can take a digital pic and post it if you folks would like. I used one from 72 to 75 on one bike and the one I have now has 2 years on it on the 125/175 Six-Days. Both were/are, 1 kick cold and 1/2 kick hot ignitions.
We did the mod on all our customer bikes that had point ignitions.
John D.

firstturn

John,
  I believe when we did it over 30 years ago we used heat sinks and didn't have too much loss.  Thank you for the answer and I will get with you when I get ready to do the process.
  And most of all thank you for not picking on the old racer who is down on his luck.  I guess we two southern boys are just going to have to stick together.  You see first hand how Karl abuses me.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh