Will not idle

Started by herman, May 15, 2004, 08:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

My 1976 Penton 175 will not idle.I have a new B8-HS NGK plug new fuel at 44:1 ratio.I totaly cleaned the bing carb and intailed new o-rings on the jets they looked a little cut.reset carb at the manual settings and still no idle. So i had a new Lectron carb and new rubber boot for it so i put both of them on and the same thing runns good but after backing of throtle it will not hold a idle.I have not got any idea what is causing this.My old plug was very clean and nice color of tan so ifeel the fuel and oil ratio are correct for my trail ridding.It starts 3-4 kicks when cold and 1-2 kicks when warm.Again i am asking the pros of the pentons to help me figure this out.I sure if you were all charging for your infomation i would have to refinnance my house Because thats what its been worth to me,But you all have been right with you answers Thanks Herm

Herm
Herm

G Ellis

Herman, take your ignition cover off and see if there is any oil deposit around the flywheel. Could have a leaking seal, have you ever replaced them? Check your head bolts, make sure they are torque to specs. If it still does not idle I would think it could be the seal leaking. Hope this will help.

Rain Man

Herm, make sure that you can see day light through your idle jet. If its plugged, it will never idle. Also use a blow gun directly in the idle port hole. The idle circut is tiny and crap accumulates in that little hole. you should be able to feel the air coming out just in behind the carburetor slide (engine side of slide) where the idle circut fuel enters the air stream. If that dosen't work, you might try going up 2 sizes on the idle jet. Happy Trails
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

herman

I will check the seal on the motoplat side and check the head bolts. Ray i dont think its the carb jet as i have tried one bing and a new lectron i had. Thanks Herm Any one have anymore ideas?

Herm
Herm

firstturn

Herm,
  I sent you a e-mail.  If you don't get it straightened out we will talk.  I not a expert on the KTMs, but I won't let that stop me from taking a swing.  I think we hit a homer on the 250 so even old racers can get lucky.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

herman

Theres no oil in the motoplat side, and i blew out the jet passage again and retorqued the head, and it still wont idle.Please send me some more ideas?

Herm
Herm

G Ellis

Herman have you had the motor a part. You could check the timing.

G Ellis

What happens if you turn the idle screw in?

herman

Motor has never been apart.Could the timming be off just a little?and if so would that cause it not to idle?When i turn the jet in all the way it will idle for a while? Herm

Herm
Herm