250 MC 5 CHAIN GUIDES?

Started by Rain Man, May 15, 2004, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

Pretty hard to get a bike together when you have nothing similar to technically inspect. The chain on this 1976 MC5 I got together lays right on the swing arm. This can't be right?  The manual dosen't show any chain guards or wear strips, Anyone got any good pics [?]. while where on the subjects of chains, what are you guys using for size and manufacturer.  Thanks and
Happpy Trails R
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

herman

My 74 and 75 250 both lay on the top of the swing arm you will see there is a strip of metal on the top of the arm,Its the same on my 76 jackpinner too.After you set you chain tension and sit on the bike the rear wheel goes up or you could say the the swing arm goes down and the chain is not rubbing the metal tab on the swing arm.Hope this answers you question Herm

Herm
Herm

G Ellis

Rain man send me your email I will send you a photo of a new one that I [email protected]

tomale

Rainman, since I have had my bike since it was new I can speak to this. yes the chain does rest right on the swingarm and that they put that stip of metal to keep from cutting into the swingarm I took a piece of plastic.. the same stuff that the chain guide is made of and bolted it to the top of the metal strip and tucked it over the front of the swingarm and behind the rear motor mount. It has been there since last summer and has stayed put and keeps the chain from cutting into the swingarm. ON the 78 400 there is a simliar guide and rubbing block over the same area. I think that when these bike were made. no one ever even dreamed that these bikes would be riden not to mention raced after these many years. Once again reality is stranger than fiction.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rain Man

Thanks guys, the steel on steel set up looked wrong. I did manage to get it running today for the first time in 10 or so years. . Hey guys, I fixed one:D  yeeba, Another Penton soon to hit the trails, again!!   And it looks and sounds pretty good to boot[^]
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tomale

cool keep us posted:D

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W